Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

useing my powerseeker 127 EQ with a smartphone Digiscoping Adapter. > I am really confused about the ghost image. could it be that my scope needs to be reset on the mirror ?

0626180020.jpg

0626180020a.jpg

0626180022.jpg

0626180022a.jpg

0626180023.jpg

it was second hand >used. i was on my front porch with the scope set up the porch light was on . but i learned that in time the mirror  might need adjusting

It is probably a reflection from the corrector lens inside the focuser. You are also still way out of focus. Focus will be achieved when the image is at its smallest. Keep turning the focuser to make the image smaller. You are probably best off doing this solely with an eyepiece and no camera to start with until you know what you are doing. Once you have figured out how to use the telescope perhaps then think of adding a camera to the mix as this will add additional problems (what sort of camera are you using and how are you connecting it to the scope??)

24 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

How long have you had your telescope?  Is it new, or used?  Did you purchase it for yourself, or was it a gift from someone?

it was used

Thank you for your reply.    Incidentally, I live about 25 miles south of Memphis, here in Mississippi.  I used to travel to Jackson, just south of you, on occasion, several years ago in my job.

You're using a device like this, for afocal photography with your cellphone's built-in camera...

https://www.phoneskope.com/store/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcLZBRCnARIsAMPBgF1xuaCujnOsFBZhSxo30K_lycGX2OaTO4ZzIfvu7G_xDY02Mup8mroaAn-vEALw_wcB

But according to your previous post, you're having issues coming to focus in general.  You're trying to observe with a 4mm, in a 3x barlow, and for a simulated 1.3mm?  Let's see...that would give you a power of...

1000mm ÷ 1.3mm = 769x.  Even if your telescope was collimated, you wouldn't be able to reach much above 200x, if that, and on a night of average seeing conditions, which would translate into a 5mm eyepiece, but without a barlow.

The design of your telescope is known by the term "Bird-Jones", and is very difficult to collimate.  Have you tried to collimate the telescope?   

15 minutes ago, 4-star said:

i have a LG Stylo"3  phone. it connects to  A ( Smartphone Digiscoping Adapter ) my lens is a 4mm connected to a 3x Barlow Lens..

Do you have the 20mm kit lens as well? The 4mm is too small for this telescope and the 4mm + 3x barlow is way too much. They are only included so that an unrealistically massive magnification number can be written on the box. Start with the 20mm eyepiece and no barlow, get that focused with your eye and then connect the phone. You will also want to use a camera app that allows you to manually set the focus of the phone. 

A powerseeker 127 EQ has a focal length of 1000mm.

The 4mm EP on its own will give a magnification of x250 (which is too high IMO), the 3x barlow will increase this three fold, i.e. 750x

It is highly unlikely that you'll EVER be able to use a magnification that high. 

I suggest that to start with, put in your lowest power Eyepiece (the one with the highest number) and try again. 

The advice given so far is good, use you eye to start with, look through the scope and get it focused etc, then see about adding in the camera. I would also suggest that you at least check collimation (the alignment of the mirrors)- the chances are it does need a tweak. 

Thanks

Ant

12 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

Thank you for your reply.    Incidentally, I live about 25 miles south of Memphis, here in Mississippi.  I used to travel to Jackson, just south of you, on occasion, several years ago in my job.

You're using a device like this, for afocal photography with your cellphone's built-in camera...

https://www.phoneskope.com/store/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcLZBRCnARIsAMPBgF1xuaCujnOsFBZhSxo30K_lycGX2OaTO4ZzIfvu7G_xDY02Mup8mroaAn-vEALw_wcB

But according to your previous post, you're having issues coming to focus in general.  You're trying to observe with a 4mm, in a 3x barlow, and for a simulated 1.3mm?  Let's see...that would give you a power of...

1000mm ÷ 1.3mm = 769x.  Even if your telescope was collimated, you wouldn't be able to reach much above 200x, if that, and on a night of average seeing conditions, which would translate into a 5mm eyepiece, but without a barlow.

The design of your telescope is known by the term "Bird-Jones", and is very difficult to collimate.  Have you tried to collimate the telescope?   

not really i just got the scope two weeks ago it had just a 4mm and 20mm  + the Barlow lens  if the phone is in place and your looking at the screen, can you adjust the ghost image offf ..  by adjusting until the ghost image is gone.

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

A powerseeker 127 EQ has a focal length of 1000mm.

The 4mm EP on its own will give a magnification of x250 (which is too high IMO), the 3x barlow will increase this three fold, i.e. 750x

It is highly unlikely that you'll EVER be able to use a magnification that high. 

I suggest that to start with, put in your lowest power Eyepiece (the one with the highest number) and try again. 

The advice given so far is good, use you eye to start with, look through the scope and get it focused etc, then see about adding in the camera. I would also suggest that you at least check collimation (the alignment of the mirrors)- the chances are it does need a tweak. 

Thanks

Ant

thanks for the advice

You can, at most, 3x-barlow the 20mm for a simulated 6.7mm(similar to a Meade), and for a power of 149x which is far more realistic.  However, if the telescope requires collimating, that is, the alignment of the two mirrors inside in conjunction with the focusser and eyepiece, you're not going to get images that are sharp and clear.  You would first need to remove the lens from the focusser's drawtube, and then collimate it like a conventional Newtonian.  The lens would have to be put back just as it was before, after you're done collimating.  It would also help a lot if the main mirror, the primary, was center-spotted, which would be another task to perform.  This is a center-spot of a primary mirror...

1530729810_primarymirrorassembly8.jpg.ac2753596e293e6ac2685577a919a292.jpg

See that little round spot in the center?  It looks like a doughnut.  You would need to place one exactly in the center of your primary-mirror, as shown here...

http://garyseronik.com/centre-dotting-your-scopes-primary-mirror/

After that's done, you could then use a collimation-cap in order to collimate the telescope...

https://agenaastro.com/rigel-systems-aline-telescope-alignment-eyepiece.html

Collimation instructions... 

http://www.astro-baby.com/astrobaby/help/collimation-guide-newtonian-reflector/

http://www.schlatter.org/Dad/Astronomy/collimate.htm

Feel free to ask any questions, and we'll do our best to help you.

1 hour ago, 4-star said:

not really i just got the scope two weeks ago it had just a 4mm and 20mm  + the Barlow lens  if the phone is in place and your looking at the screen, can you adjust the ghost image offf ..  by adjusting until the ghost image is gone.

I dont think either of the images in your photos are of astro objects - they may well be the reflections of light from your porch light in the optics of your scope and the "ghost" is of that reflection, as Ricochet says.

What astro target were you trying to photograph ?

Archived