Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Dob - Further Impressions

8.45 this evening - Moon just past first quarter - thought I'd spend more time getting used to the 10" Bresser Dob.  At first, the obstruction was evident, but this faded later.  Also, the dual fit Baader Hyperions could not give focus in the 2" opening until I tried them in the adaptor then all was OK.  

9.25 - Moon looking good, and although I have made a 5" riser, I was still bending somewhat, so brought a stool out which increased comfort considerably.  At x190, the view was clear and detailed, despite some shimmering and a little 'scope wobble.

One thing that really helped was the RACI finder which I took off the 8SE and fitted with a Baader Standard Clamp.  This made tracking very easy, from the same sitting position.

On up to x212 with the TV Radian, concentrating on the heavily cratered south - which I haven't done much of, maybe it's psychological, since that region is now at the top of the view.  Still good at x254, x318.  At 9.45 I even had a go at x423 - still light, but the view was quite decent, and only slightly less sharp and clear.

So I continue to be pleased with this Dob, and hope to go out again in an hour to see what other pleasures await me!!

Doug.

Quick update - got sidetracked by Jupiter, so didn't get on to globs etc..  But the difference with Jupiter at this aperture was noticeable.  I saw the GRS immediately, just about dead centre.  (Took well over two years for my first sighting!)  At about x100, there was slight detail in the SEB and NEB, not just the more usual fuzzy bands.  The SSTB (or STB?) was also in evidence.

I am very pleased with the performance and usage of this Dob, and the RACI now has a new home on it (keeping the Rigel company) - I hardly used the RACI at all on the 8SE.

Doug.

Pleased you are enjoying your new Dob Doug :) 

I remember my first night with one.......what a revelation it was after years messing about with EQ's. I just kept roaming all over the sky with a huge grin on my face, free at last from wrestling with tube rings and awkward eyepiece positions. 

Thanks Steve and Stu.  Yes, I had hoped it would be good - but it's brilliant!  Balanced, rotated, collimated, EP rack moved, altitude friction pads re-positioned (they were a tad out), RACI and Rigel added, and a dab of Lithium grease here and there.  Re Steve's comment about the Eq mount - Yes, tried that, moved on!

Doug.

It's good to hear more about this dob and how your getting on with it - I'm sure that when your over a certain height, a stool is a must for most dobs and then a ladder for anything really big...?

Archived