Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ESP32

Dave_D

Not sure if any of my fellow arduino tinkerers have seen these but WOW!!!

have a gander at these specs and the board is about the same size as an arduino nano and that's WITH a 128x64 OLED screen... these things are AWESOME!

Processors:
CPU: Xtensa dual-core (or single-core) 32-bit LX6 microprocessor, operating at 160 or 240 MHz and performing at up to 600 DMIPS
Ultra low power (ULP) co-processor
Memory: 520 KiB SRAM
Wireless connectivity:
Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth: v4.2 BR/EDR and BLE
Peripheral interfaces:
12-bit SAR ADC up to 18 channels
2 × 8-bit DACs
10 × touch sensors (capacitive sensing GPIOs)
Temperature sensor
4 × SPI
2 × I²S interfaces
2 × I²C interfaces
3 × UART
SD/SDIO/CE-ATA/MMC/eMMC host controller
SDIO/SPI slave controller
Ethernet MAC interface with dedicated DMA and IEEE 1588 Precision Time Protocol support
CAN bus 2.0
Infrared remote controller (TX/RX, up to 8 channels)
Motor PWM
LED PWM (up to 16 channels)
Hall effect sensor
Ultra low power analog pre-amplifier
Security:
IEEE 802.11 standard security features all supported, including WFA, WPA/WPA2 and WAPI
Secure boot
Flash encryption
1024-bit OTP, up to 768-bit for customers
Cryptographic hardware acceleration: AES, SHA-2, RSA, elliptic curve cryptography (ECC), random number generator (RNG)
Power management:
Internal low-dropout regulator
Individual power domain for RTC
5uA deep sleep current
Wake up from GPIO interrupt, timer, ADC measurements, capacitive touch sensor interrupt

got one through the post today and have it connected to my wifi in minutes.

there's quite a few form factors but i got this one... and only 12 quid :D

oh, it can also run Python... 

Edited by Dave_D
  • Like 1

Yup, I've got one on the bench as I write this.

I bought the "bare" ESP32 - €3 from China . The green matrix board is designed for it and you can see the names of the "pins" (if you flip it over, there are connections for an ESP12 instead).

The black component to the left is an Arduino compatible USB -> power + serial

You can program it through the Arduino IDE and lots of Arduino and ESp8266 libraries have been ported to this device. Many of them actually work! ?

IMG_20180619_203311.thumb.jpg.c24c635aece43497ed566e021c2531cf.jpg

Edited by pete_l

Sorry to break the bad news but the ESP32 chip software is not quite 100% reliable IME - e.g. 3 Uarts - no there isn't - only 2 that can send and recv data plus the OLED shares the  pins with the flash memory so if you use them -oops it goes illegal and restarts.

The Wifi is ok but not brilliant on some clones. Programming the Wifi is a nightmare when you get complicated due to the RTOS used by the ESP32 chip - tip do not use long DELAY but relinquish control ASAP so the RTOS can do its Wifi core routines.

Yes it could be a great little device (there are so many clones/implemtations of the esp32) but its not as good/reliable as the ESP8266. But for £12 (oled version) is not bad - IMHO

p.s. The documentation is pretty poor in places you have to dig everywhere and some is conflicting or just wrong.  WEMOS and Adafruit ESP32 version seems to be reliable but some ESP32 implementations produce some funny results when tested with the same code.

Having said that it can be made to do things and it takes up small space and power. The built in OLED versions are nice .

I have used it to control SW mounts (acting as AP,STA and AP+STA) and to drive focus stepper motors all under Arduino IDE.

Also have a look at Smartconfig which runs on Android Phones etc and allows you to connect the ESP32(in STA mode) to any network without inbuilt details such as passwords - again a bit iffy IME

In a nutshell IMO W.I.P but FUN

Edited by stash_old

• 2 years later...

I had a lot of fun converting an old but reliable house alarm to a “smart alarm” using a £5 ESP-32 module.

I am intrigued by the possibility of using the screen version as an electronic finder scope...