Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How Can I Improve EQ2?

Hi,

I'm wanting to use my new OpticStar 90S Gold on my old EQ2 so I have 2 functional setups, one for imaging and the other for visual. I tried the 90 and EQ2 together last night, and they seemed to work well. However, the EQ2 is still really wobbly, and theres a slight vibration transmitted through the scope from the motors. I'm not sure how much this affects the image, but I can feel it on the barrel and the focuser. 

I know weight isn't an issue, the EQ2 came with a 130 newt (f7.8 or something) and the 90s only weighs about 3.5kg. The counterweight is a comfortable half way down the weight bar.

Are there any ways to improve the sturdiness of the mount, and remove the vibration? It's essential to use the tracking motor because the slo-mo controls cause so much wobbling that by the time the mounts settled the objects drifted away! :D

Thanks for looking :) 

John

2 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Hang a bag of sugar below the tripod - it helps dampen any vibrations.

It does.  I used to put a large stone in the tray of my EQ3-2 which improved it no end.

James

Archived