What first lense to use with DSLR and Star Adventurer?

Hi. I'm a total beginner at imaging. I'm starting off small and easing in to things slowly. I have (or will have) a Star Adventurer and Nikon D3400. I'm also willing to buy one lens. I have the standard 18-55mm it came with which is probably not that much use. A friend has a 180mm f2 he's offered me on the cheap. Would this be a good option ?

Suggestions please, thanks. 

I'd say just start out with the one that you got. With that one you can get some great widefield milkyway images, and the tracking will be very forgiving, so it is an easy way to start out when learning. More focal length is not always better, and will be more difficult to handle :)

I found the kit lens a good place to start, the wider the field and the shorter the focal length the more forgiving everything is! I use a 75-300mm telephoto lens. I’ve been fine so far up to 100 secs at 300mm.

Theres a 180mm Samyang that has a pretty good reputation - is that the lens you mean? 

It all depends on what you want to capture I guess. But I’d definitely make your first few shots with as short a focal length as possible.

Go for a widefield lens as suggested. The kit lens gets bad press and will yield good results for a starter set up

I use a d7100 on mine and tend to go between either my uber widefield https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0007U00XK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or my nifty fifty https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Y1AYAC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Archived