Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starlight Live 3.3 and below now CRASHES on startup!

geminijk

My 3.3 version now keeps crashing on start up!   I just updated the log on a similar issue on the BitBucket site. I'm extremely concerned about this program now, as I don't see any updates there on that site since April 2017!!

I'm so incredibly disappointed, as I consistently speak highly of this program, and the LSX2 on blogs, forums, podcast etc and now its just not working. I have been restoring my Mac and it worked fine for 2 sessions. Now it won't start. This happened one time before, and from the logs it seemed it was related to the FITS directory and it was a fix for me to get working by simply starting up the program after I ensured the directory was valid.  Now I have no clue. 

Attached my log file here, actually the crash report. I wanted so bad to be on NSN, now this.  I'm considering just loading up Windows on bootcamp, but honestly I love SkySafari and its what I use to control the scope. Just hate to part with it, and of course have a nice Mac sitting there doing well, nothing. 

John

Starlight Live Error Sierra.docx

Been a good programme for the lodestar and it was given away for free, Paul done a great job on it I hear,, but he may not have the time to carry in doing it for the hobby,, but folk come and go in the hobby,, been a lot of folk not seen for a while,, 

I think you are being very hard on Paul and Starlight Live. As a programmer I know that programs (hate word Apps) can only be tested in the environment you had in front of you at the time. However things dont stand still - Apple change things (MS too) and Apple dont really care about "non standard" programs. Also the program was free and Paul has to make a living for his family so "he pays the piper calls the tune" - unless its Shirva then I think he pays the public to listen to his pipes - JOKE ?

5 hours ago, geminijk said:

restoring my Mac and it worked fine for 2 sessions

That would point to something that is being updated maybe.

5 hours ago, geminijk said:

I love SkySafari and its what I use to control the scope. Just hate to part with it, and of course have a nice Mac sitting there doing well, nothing

Whats stopping you doing continuing to do that and moving either to another software package that is native to Mac to control the Lodestar - ok not EAA biased and not as good as a working Starlight live but Mac only products are a plenty.

Plus have you reported the problem to SX directly as they maybe able to help as they "sell" the product indirectly.

Plus are there other user who are still working ok using Mac - maybe they will come forth with info that might help.

Good luck hope you find a solution ?

3 hours ago, stash_old said:

I think you are being very hard on Paul and Starlight Live. As a programmer I know that programs (hate word Apps) can only be tested in the environment you had in front of you at the time. However things dont stand still - Apple change things (MS too) and Apple dont really care about "non standard" programs. Also the program was free and Paul has to make a living for his family so "he pays the piper calls the tune" - unless its Shirva then I think he pays the public to listen to his pipes - JOKE ?

That would point to something that is being updated maybe.

Whats stopping you doing continuing to do that and moving either to another software package that is native to Mac to control the Lodestar - ok not EAA biased and not as good as a working Starlight live but Mac only products are a plenty.

Plus have you reported the problem to SX directly as they maybe able to help as they "sell" the product indirectly.

Plus are there other user who are still working ok using Mac - maybe they will come forth with info that might help.

Good luck hope you find a solution ?

Erm,,, I'm a bass and tenor drummer,, I just shake the slate's off the roofs as I go by,,, ?

FB_IMG_1528296134879.jpg

2 hours ago, shirva said:

Erm,,, I'm a bass and tenor drummer,, I just shake the slate's off the roofs as I go by,,, ?

FB_IMG_1528296134879.jpg

Do you then play crown pin after a quick practice - love the pic - keep em awake :thumbsup::hiding:?

John,

We hear from SX that Paul is taking a break from his development of SLL because of work committments.  We’re hoping he returns some day.  In the meantime perhaps you can try opening the program with a terminal command.  I suspect as Stash indicated that you updated something that affects the compatibility with older programs.  I use a Mac with El Capitan and version 3.1 of SLL, and it still works well.  I use 3.1 because 3.2 and 3.3 won’t allow zoom on the remote image window to work for some reason.  Paul didn’t get a chance to fix that.

What OS are you using?

Don

Being hard on Paul? Look, Paul has done a PHENOMENAL JOB with Lodestar Live and StarLight Live. In fact such a fantastic job, that if the program stops working, its devastating to someone like me that relies on it simply to observer, that is all i'm saying.

I'm going to actually try and just wipe clean and start fresh. I'm not sure what was updated, since I only updated to Sierra as a possible FIX for the issue with SLL and it didn't work.  I'll keep the folks posted here, as I know of at least 1 other person with this issue, so I'm not alone. 

John

Pleased (sort of) to update that I'm back observing.  I wiped out the Mac, installed a fresh copy of Sierra, and I'm back working. Would love to know what combination of updates or programs, etc causes the problem, but for now, I'm keeping things very vanilla so that I can share the universe. Nothing beats this program btw as far as I'm concerned, that is why I am willing to wipe out my Mac just to get this working again.   

john

19 hours ago, stash_old said:

Do you then play crown pin after a quick practice - love the pic - keep em awake :thumbsup::hiding:?

Open day of a local bowling club,, no stay away from the bowling too much drinking involved going by what the guys I work with lol

4 hours ago, shirva said:

bowling too much drinking involved going by what the guys I work with lol

So that's why the balls wobble and I thought it was the weights inside !!!! Still waiting for the pics from mobile set up !!!!!   Found another use for mine - tracking and photographing Planes - they appear below clouds LOL

Plane's will crash into the house,, the level the clouds are at here,..

Packing in astronomy for a month or so till the light nights start fading,, only get chance one day at weekend and it's bad weather,, aargh

Archived