My new Celestron C5

Well I bought a Celestron C5 a few days ago. It is truly a good travel scope. It show good views of most night sky objects. It is no 8 inch Newtonian or 120 Ed or C8. But it is very easy to handle and takes up no room as a travel/grab & go scope. Tonight I saw pleasing views of Venus, Jupiter and the moon. Then to my surprise the ISS came over. I was able to pan the C5 and track the space station. I was overjoyed that it resolved the basic "H" shape. I was using a Skywatcher 16mm Nirvana and a 6.7mm Explore Scientific eyepieces. 

Sounds good. I saw the iss also, heading over and down towards the east at about 10.30pm by eye, a nice sight. Some time ago I once caught it and tracked it in my st120 but didn't have time to focus so it was just a bright oval blob!

15 minutes ago, Paz said:

Sounds good. I saw the iss also, heading over and down towards the east at about 10.30pm by eye, a nice sight. Some time ago I once caught it and tracked it in my st120 but didn't have time to focus so it was just a bright oval blob!

I've tracked it before with my other telescopes and it appeared as a bright blob. Not sure why it was resolved this time. Exciting though. 

Nice one. I have the Celestron 4SE which gives good views through for the size. That C8 I bought off you the other year certainly is a cracking scope though. Had some great views with it, and now doing some planetary and lunar imaging with it too. Been thinking of getting a C6 for a little extra aperture, but with my other scopes I have I can’t justify it really. Not tried tracking the ISS with a scope yet, but did manage the easier option of tracking it through 12x50 binos. :) 

23 hours ago, Alan White said:

Nice scope choice Martin.

Are you using it on you Sabre mount?

I use the Sabre mount for my  8 inch Newtonian and 120 Ed. I do enjoy manually scanning the sky. 

Archived