Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello,

I've taken a break from scope observing (after a catalog of problems which I wont go into) but still want to to enjoy viewing the night sky. So going to go at it with binoculars.

At the moment I have got a nice pair of 10x50 but thinking about upgrading these. I was going to go for the Celeston Skymaster 15x70 but after doing some price searching have found the Revelation 15x70 for £50 and after finding some review feedback these seem to be a good pair for the prices.

However for the cost I was going to shell out on Celestron I can get some Revelation 20x80.

My question is: is there a massive difference between the two and is it worth going for the larger apature?

(yes I have got a tripod and adpater to put them on!)

Cheers

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi keef_uk :undecided:

I asked a similar question re: the difference between the Celestron and the Revelation bino's and the feedback I got was that they were pretty much the same - probably come from the same factory !.

I've not taken the plunge yet though.

John

I have a pair of 15x70's and I do sweep the starfield's with them. I've got to agree with Gaz,you will have to mount them for a good stable image.

The planets? Well I have had some nice views of Jupiter and that's about it with my 15x70's. The Moon is nice though.

DSO''? Plenty too look at. You could always have a look at a book on binocular astronomy before you take the plunge.

Argonaut.

Thanks Argonaut. Any chance can get a glimpse of Saturn? How much detail (if any) can be made out on Jupiter - and can you see any of its moons?

When you say Plenty of DSOs - I take it that you can see them through 15x70s - I want to spot galaxy and nebulas

Hello "Keef_uk!"

20x80's will give an "exit" pupil of 4.

15x70's will an "exit" pupil of 4.6

So the 15x70's will allow you to see things a touch brighter than 20x80's.

Also, the 15x70's may have a slightly wider field of view.

Forgive me if you already know this!

Best wishes,

philsail1

Thanks Argonaut. Any chance can get a glimpse of Saturn? How much detail (if any) can be made out on Jupiter - and can you see any of its moons?

When you say Plenty of DSOs - I take it that you can see them through 15x70s - I want to spot galaxy and nebulas

I have seen three bands on Jupiter with my 15x70's and three of the bright moons. Please don't expect too much,it can be disappointing.

Not seen Saturn yet since I bought my 15x70's. I can't see it being spectaculor really.

My favourite views for DSO's with my 15x70's would be M81 M82 M36 M37 M38 M45 and my favourite NGC object NGC 457.

There are plenty of targets for you, these are just my favourites.

You must remember that 'seeing' is all important with all optical equipment. M51 and M101 are notorious and I've only seen them once in three months.

Good luck with your purchase.

Argonaut.

Just a thought!

If you would like to look at binoculars from the USA try here www.garrettoptical.com

They offer an excellent service. ALL the binoculars go through a 14 point test before being shipped and I have them used them quite a number of times.

Zach is very helpful.

I know the £ is weak against the $ but you only have to buy once with NO quality control issues.

Argonaut.

Hi Keef_uk,

I started off with 15x70 binos and they can show a lot (I'm not sure what advantage they have over 10x50's though). However, if I were you I'd probably go for some 20x80's as my next pair.

Don't get me wrong my 15x70's are excellent, but it think they're in a bit of limbo between 10x50's and 20x80's, in-so-much as they are quite heavy and really require a tripod to get the most enjoyment from. I've used them hand-held frequently for terrestrial and astronomical observation, and they do a Stirling job, but I think I'd prefer something lighter with a lower mag.

Whatever binos you buy you'll get some good views (I've never been fortunate enough to see Jupiter's bands with mine, but with the right conditions I'm sure you could), but if it was me I'd get something along the lines of 20x80's for tripod viewing and keep the 10x50's for popping outside for some impromptu stargazing. But that's just what I'd do.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the board.

I don't have any experience of those particular binos, but 8x56 should have excellent light gathering capabilities (very important for astronomy) since it'll give you an exit pupil of 7mm! If you're a relative young 'un (over 20 and under 50) your pupil will expand to 7mm in dark conditions so you'll be gathering the maximum amount of light you can (which means brighter objects).

The 8x magnification will reveal many more stars than you can see with your naked eye, even showing planets and other galaxies (they'll be small and hard to make out, but still visible).

Obviously these binoculars won't be as clear as those costing £300, but if you're looking to get started and learning what's going on above our heads, without the need for a tripod they'll be a superb set of binos to get going with. And even if you don't enjoy astronomy they'll come in handy for terrestrial use.

HTH

Mark

Thank you Mark, and thanks for the welcome. I've been a lurker for a couple of years actually, picking up much great info along the way!

Yup, I'm 31 so my pupils will still expand that far! I've also got a good manfrotto tripod which should help to keep the binos still for viewing the smaller objects.

I've had a cheap £200 TAL tele for a few years, but its pretty useless for anything other than the moon. Have seen the moons of Jupiter a couple of times, but its so hard to keep the whole thing still, the slightest bump with an eyelash (with the barlow in) and the hole image fuzzes up for 5 seconds!! Most annoying.

Think I'll see how I get on with the binos and give my friends Nexstar 8" a go, then maybe take the plunge and buy a Nexstart 10" or LX 10.

Thanks again.

Greg

Greg!

I bought those very same Practica 8x56's from Scopes n' Skies back in April of this year - ended up selling them on e-bay for £26.00!

I personally did not like them at all. The views were cystal clear, and sharp to almost the edges of the field of view.

However, looking through them was like looking down a long narrow dark tunnel! The field of view was too small for my liking.

We are all individuals, so you may get on well with them - but if you do buy, make sure you make it clear to Skopes n' skies, that you may want to exchange if you find them unsuitable.

In my opinion, in addition to having good specifications, a pair of binoculars have got to "feel" right when you hold them, and look through them.

After the experience of buying two pairs from scopes n' skies - first pair was an "adler optics" 9x63 Roof prism, that were excellent for views, and field of view, but were just too narrow to get a comfortable grip - I went for actually trying pairs of binoculars from shops, Jessops, and other camera shops. I found it better to be able to try them out.

I eventually found an excellent pair of "Opticron" 8x42's, (Porro Prism) at a car boot sale. I bought them for £55 (they were £149 in the shops).

I can recommend Opticron binoculars. I think "First Light Optics" do sell them.

Hope you find what your looking for.

Best wishes.

philsail1

If you're not too far away, a trip to Scopes n Skies would be well worth it. I could honestly spend all day in a shop like that, just looking at what they've got there. You could try before you buy and they've got a huge selection there. The staff when I visited were really relaxed and knowledgeable, which makes a change from shopping on the High Street. Plus it's just outside Ely, which has some lovely pubs. :undecided:

I hadn't considered Phil's perspective on the binoculars though. I guess you do have to purchase something that feels 'right', although if Scopes and Skies do a return policy if you're not happy then that might suffice.

Just a thought!

If you would like to look at binoculars from the USA try here www.garrettoptical.com

They offer an excellent service. ALL the binoculars go through a 14 point test before being shipped and I have them used them quite a number of times.

Zach is very helpful.

I know the £ is weak against the $ but you only have to buy once with NO quality control issues.

Argonaut.

They look good. I've been toying around with the idea of getting a pair of big binos and a beefy portable tripod to take with me on my travels.

Which pair do you have?

I have a pair of 15x70 Signatures and the BT70 90°.

Good specs and excellent quality control from Garrett.

Argonaut.

I can't find a bad review of GO's products or customer service.

Did you get stung by customs when you bought them and did they arrive in good shape? I've read that they're well packed before shipment but it only takes one bad courier to mess things up. Is the packaging clearly marked? eg. 'handle with care or prepare to die - fragile optical instrument' :)

I never use the word 'customs' :)

Yeh, got clobbered with VAT(17.5%) Import duty(4.2%) handling fee (£13). It does add up.

My Mate bought a pair of 15x70's in the UK. Not here to start a flame war, but he had to send the first 3 pair back until he got a good one. He was also charged postage every time.

Mine came in perfect collimation even after Parcel Farce got their hand's on them :D They were well packaged.

Argonaut.

They must have been worth the wait if you're recommending them after paying all that extra tax :D

I think I'm sold on the GO's. I was thinking of getting the massive 28x110's but they might be a tad overkill re. portability/mounting verses great viewing.

so I'm looking at the 22x85's at the moment as a compromise. More research and thinking is needed :)

Yeh! they were worth the wait and the extra money.

Most people who bought the 28x110 wish they had gone for the 20x110. Just a better FOV.

The 22x85 Signatures have had great reviews from ALL the owners. If you do get into bino's prepare to buy a good mount. There is nothing worse than a flimsy mount.

If you go with 15x70's then a sturdy monopod would help.

Good luck with the decision and clear skies.

Argonaut.

I'm seriously considering the Garrett Optical Signature 22x85's - the reviews are excellent.

A weight of 10lbs though is going to require a heavy duty tripod/head like the Manfrotto 501HDV head and 028B tripod. This is going to be quite expensive but I can get the tripod/head from a UK dealer.

I'd like to see some Garrett binos in the flesh before I decide.

Argonaut: I see you're in Lancashire - I might not be too far away (hint :wave: )

Archived