NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ATIK 414ex Mono.... good upgrade from DSLR ??

Craney

7 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

The buffer has nothing to do with using darks....it’s for people who still use USB 2.0 to allow a faster transfer of the large data files...and so as not to cause a bottleneck, using darks....?? Not sure what you mean by that to be honest, as it has no bearing...

And the issues with Version 2 was the lack of a heated window, and so frosting was a slight issues for some...

The buffer helps to reduce amp glow. Using darks removes the amp glow. If you're using darks anyway is there a huge advantage to having the buffer?

My point being if one comes up and is good value it should be considered.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Allinthehead said:

The buffer helps to reduce amp glow. Using darks removes the amp glow. If you're using darks anyway is there a huge advantage to having the buffer?

My point being if one comes up and is good value it should be considered.

There is a massive advantage if you use USB 2.0....yes...

Yes, if it is good value, agreed it should be considered.. :)

2 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

There is a massive advantage if you use USB 2.0....yes...

Yes, if it is good value, agreed it should be considered.. :)

It's funny i imagined a big advantage when i tested my pro version and to be fair it's only very slightly better than the old one and i'm on usb 2. 

10 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Richard seems to talking from experience. How many of these cameras have you owned and used @LightBucket ??

The ASI 1600 version 1 and version 3, and the QHY equivalent 163, which is much better IMHO....but that only has a 128mb buffer, bit seems to work better on USB 2, and that’s the camera i still own, although am looking at going back to CCD.. :)

21 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

The ASI 1600 version 1 and version 3, and the QHY equivalent 163, which is much better IMHO....but that only has a 128mb buffer, bit seems to work better on USB 2, and that’s the camera i still own, although am looking at going back to CCD.. :)

Thanks William for that, it makes the opinions more valid to base my choice, for when I buy one of these cameras ?

So...... now I'm thinking.... save a bit more money and go for a 1600MM / 163  variant.....???

When they say you need filters... yes, you do .... FLO needs to market a 'Purchase' Narrowband filter that dramatically cuts all the options available. !!

MODS if it is inappropriate for me to post as it was my Atik sale that kicked this off, please delete.

Sean, the 1600mm is a great camera and worth saving up for. Probably even a better match to the ED80. Just check out the Astronomy Tools website to explore the field of view you get from the 1600 compared to the 414, just to see if it is what you are after.

If it is, then the 183mm might be a slightly cheaper alternative again. It's one I am looking at and has a wider field than the Atik, although a little smaller than the 1600mm.

So hard to make a decision! ?

On 26/05/2018 at 09:51, Craney said:

So...... now I'm thinking.... save a bit more money and go for a 1600MM / 163  variant.....???

When they say you need filters... yes, you do .... FLO needs to market a 'Purchase' Narrowband filter that dramatically cuts all the options available. !!

Just so you're aware with the 163 you will get severe vignetting with 1.25 filters. Maybe @LightBucket can confirm.

Archived