Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 114LSM Question

Hi all, could anyone give any advice on this scope please, i missed out on the last scope i was hoping to buy and one of the 114LCM has become available. 

Only been used a couple of times and is in very good original condition with motor stand and accessories for £100.

This will be my firat scope and will only be used for planets and hopefully some deep space, not being used for photography. 

Also is price reasonable, seen them new for around £280.

Thank you in advance, i appreciate your opinions

Hello @01142007,

This site has some equipment reviews - http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/telescope-reviews/telescopes

Firstly, have you had chance to use a scope or are you buying blind (so to speak)? My advice is think about what you expect to see through the scope, I know a couple of people who bought a starter scope and where bitterly disappointed, I wouldn't want you to lay out your hard earned money and end up thinking you made the wrong decision.  Im strictly a binocular user now, good luck on your quest to find your first scope. 

7 minutes ago, Fusion said:

Hello @01142007,

This site has some equipment reviews - http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/telescope-reviews/telescopes

Firstly, have you had chance to use a scope or are you buying blind (so to speak)? My advice is think about what you expect to see through the scope, I know a couple of people who bought a starter scope and where bitterly disappointed, I wouldn't want you to lay out your hard earned money and end up thinking you made the wrong decision.  Im strictly a binocular user now, good luck on your quest to find your first scope. 

Thank you for your reply, my firat scope, i have never even looked through one so 'blind so to speak' i have a set of skymaster 25x70 binoculars but thought a scope would be the next step. 

Would like to see rings of saturn etc. Not expecting to see hubble type images :)

41 minutes ago, Fusion said:

Another idea is to see if there are any astronomy groups in your part of the country and go along when they have a meet, see a few scopes in action.

Looking into this already thanks 

114LSM or 114LCM? As a first telescope that you want to travel with, I'd recommend a decent refractor. You will have more pleasing views through a 80mm or 90mm refractor than through a 114mm newtonian, simply due to the secondary mirror obstruction and the needed occasional collimation. The refractor will give you more contrast on planets, resulting in a better chance of seeing finer details.

Light gathering power wont be that much diferent in either scope when it comes to deep sky objects either, but the refractor will be a bit smaller so better for travelling.

Later when you're ready and willing to upgrade, than look into a 8" reflecting type scope... that will really open up your deep sky potential in comparison.

Than again 100 pounds is a pretty good price, IF the scope is in a good working order, as stated above, you should really have a look through it first.

12 hours ago, Fusion said:

@01142007 - I used one of these at a meet once, thought it was excellent - http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/review/telescopes/celestron-omni-xlt-127

I'm sure it is, but the OP might balk at spending that much.

In a sense what exactly the OP buys matters less than that he should get something of decent quality so that it inspires him rather than being a disappointment and a pain to use.

I'd suggest establishing some guidelines to narrow down the choice.

1) Budget - this may rule out a lot of potential choices.

2) new or used?  Used may save at least 33%, but there is the danger of having to 'sort out' a used instrument when you have zero experience.

3) Type of optical-tube-assembly: refractors make economic and practical sense in small sizes. In larger sizes, Newtonians are cheapest, but Maksutovs and (in larger sizes) SCTs (Schmidt-Cassegrains) while significantly more expensive come in a more convenient length, shape and weight.

4) Mount: Comes in several significant varieties: the alt-azimuth, simple to understand and use.  Equatorial, technically more sophisticated but can be confusing and unhelpful for beginners. Dobsonian - a budget variety of alt-az used with Newtonians.  GoTo - can be combined with any of the above varieties to automatically  point the telescope at desired objects.

I'd suggest that after setting a budget the first choice should be: GoTo or not?  Then pick your OTA type. Then look for a package that includes the desired parts.

My personal tip is that the OP buys an 127mm Maksutov on an alt-azimuth GoTo mount. This ticks several boxes:  Good quality instrument not likely to disappoint or need much maintenance, and easy to handle.  Portable compact outfit.  GoTo will locate large numbers of obscure objects.   A 'keeper' as it will still find a role even if a larger instrument is bought later.

@Cosmic Geoff thank you very much for the advive, i agree in the fact that i would like to buy something that will last a few years and not be put off by the disappointment of what i can see. My inital budget was around £200 but can stretch a little for a better scope that will last. I am happy buying used as that wull help with the budget :)

Just done a search on FLO and found this, it ticks the boxes that you mention and i presume this or one like this is what you mean? 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-supatrak.html

Thanks again 

27 minutes ago, 01142007 said:

Good OTA, but be aware that a 'supatrak' is a motorized but non-GoTo mount. I recommend that you pass.

Alternatives include the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT and the Skywatcher Skymax 127 Synscan GoTo.

Or maybe the GTi range of wiFi controlled mounts where you use your tablet instead of a handset.

On 19/05/2018 at 17:05, 01142007 said:

@MarsG76 my mistake it is the LCM i take on board your comments about refractor telescops and i will have a look into this, can you recommend any at all? 

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend... you could spend thousands on top of the line refractors but as a very good bargain compromise I recommend you have a look at the BOSMA beta-RE. It is a 80mm f6.25 (500mm FL) refractor... I use it to take my wide low power astrophotos and it does a great job.

I bought it specifically for AP but I did take it up to the dark site a few times and for a 80mm frac it does perform great with an eyepiece.

The focuser is a basic rack/pinion type and very workable.

Best thing is it was AUD$350 brand new, so it didn't break the bank either.

Ok i am back again, now looking at a used skyhawk 1145p synscan with 4 eye peices, budget is tight but thought this could be a put on and then add a better telescope at a later date. I beleive these stands are better and a little dearer, been offered it at £100.

Any feedback would be appreciated 

Archived