SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

first pair

I finally got a pair of binoculars!  I went with the Olympus Trooper DPS-1 10x50.  

I originally decided I would work at learning the night sky at the naked eye level almost as a sign of commitment to investing more in observing gear.  While I don't know every constellation, I've got a good working map of what's going on.  

So far it's been exciting, but the recent moon and the timing of my life have kept my viewing fairly limited.  

I found I had to rummage and dig out the tripod for these.  I couldn't stabilize them too well on my own.  But just perfect timing with Jupiter in opposition.  I love the moons!  My mind drifts off into imagination with that sight.  

I also targeted the beehive cluster.  I noted it with my naked eye and have been wanting to catch a better glimpse ever since.  Really fun to work the binocs to triangulate with leo, gemini, and canis minor.  

Anyone have some MUST SEE targets I should hit right away?  

Take care

Hi.

A sky that lets you see the Beehive with the naked eyes has plenty to show in a 10x50. The bright globular clusters are prime targets. M3 in Canes (but easier to locate using the major star Arcturus in Bootes), M13 and M92 in Hercules. Then further south, M4 in Scorpius and M22 in Sagittarius.

In the same neighborhood, the very extended M8 nebula, and the scythe-shaped M17 nebula. Returning to spectacular open clusters like the Beehive, M11 in Scutum (better located thanks to an arc of stars at the south of the Eagle), M6 and M7 in Scorpius.

Random sighting of any place in the dense Milky Way is always rewarding, too.

You saw the beehive with naked eye? Wow you should come round to mine, you’re lucky to see the moon on a good night! Haha.

my favourite by far is “the coat hanger” but I think it’s in Sagitta so you may have to wait a bit.

You might be able to make out the Leo Triplet just about? 

Archived