IC1396 - first image in six months

Adreneline

Clouds, clouds and rubbish seeing have been the order of the day here.

Finally managed to get something over the past three nights. Seeing was not great and the target hid behind the trees until 00.30 so not too much time to get anything before the dawn started to appear.

Taken with WO-ZS71 and 428ex this is 8 x 600s of Ha, OIII and SII - processed in PI and PS with some creative use of colour.

Elephant.thumb.jpg.83b45f93722b0c4a9dc39cc78d0d08a2.jpg

I'm pretty sure there is more wrong with this image than there is right about it. As ever advice and comments always welcome.

Not expecting to get anything else now until August.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

Hi Richard,

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

You didn't say how you stacked the data.

I stacked all the data in PI but I didn't take/use any Darks - I used a MasterBias instead.

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

There're some hot pixels showing that can easily be dealt with if you use a bad pixel map.

I've been a bit negligent in not sorting the hot pixels properly; I need to use the Cosmetic Correction process in PI take some Darks - Darks are probably a better idea in the long run.

As an aside I used PI to blend the three NB components as per the LVA tutorial. I also used Annie's Astro Actions in PS to construct a Hubble Palette image. I then combined the two in PS blending the two layers to get the colour mix I liked; I'm not very keen on very red nebula images - I prefer a rusty/dusty look.

Thank you for your comments.

Adrian

Archived