NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW plossl vs BST starguider

could someone please tell me what the difference is, visually, between a 12mm plossl and a BST type 12mm eyepiece? Is it the quality of the image or does it depend on what you are viewing?

Thanks as always... Mark

I haven't used the SW Plossls but I would imagine that in the centre of the field the image will be pretty similar. However, you will notice the 60° field of the Starguider is significantly wider than the 50° field of the Plossl. The cheaper Plossls tend to be not very well corrected at the edge so the quality of the image in the Starguider will probably pull ahead as you look from centre to edge. Additionally, the Starguiders are very comfortable eyepieces to use in my experience (without glasses) and comfort while observing makes it easier to see small details. Given the choice between the two eyepieces I wouldn't hesitate in buying the Starguider. 

I would think the BST had the edge because as far as I am aware they are ED glass so won't add any additional chromatic aberration that your scope will show anyway, but a poor eyepiece from my experience does add more.

Significantly wider field - for example , a 25mm BST is wider than a 40mm plossl in field 

Physically , the BSTs are bulkier too - here is a 25mm SW Plossl beside a 25mm BST below 

As mentioned above , they are pretty much identical in the middle ; sharp and bright - but the BSTs are much wider field 

130FB863-E4C0-49AD-90A0-AC2380F1F985.jpeg

I've always wanted a Plössl set,  that decision was made before the scope arrived?
Not sure their essential now,  having discovered the Starguiders, but each to their own, a decent Plössl could still have pride of place in someone's collection, and having tried a few of the better  known ones! I've finally settled on the cheaper Revelation Astro Plössl's.
These Plössl's are 52° afov but the eye-relief is very short, but their extreme cheapness distracts the fact that these are quite good eyepieces, GSO quality, branded Revelation, and for me, they provided stunning views during my comparison tests.

That said my favourite EP's are the BST Starguiders. Their just comfortable in use and work very well for my eyes on my f/6 scope, which could make a big difference to how your eyes and scope portray the final image. 

Archived