Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Wonderfluid

I love "BOWF" - I use it for all my optical cleaning, and for other stuff too. I bought one bottle probably a year ago now and it's only half gone, despite fairly extensive use.

What I do is:

Wash your hands before doing this, just in case, and touch cotton buds only by the stick.

First, blow all dust off with a blower first. Stubborn dust should be gently brushed off. Put two generous squirts on the tip of a cotton bud (q-tip, if you must) and apply very gently it to the surface in question. Use no pressure, let the fluid act as a lubricant between the bud and the glass.

Then, very soon after application (so it doesn't evaporate), use the other end to begin to mop up the fluid going in a spiral motion from the middle outwards. Do a few gentle circles and use a new bud to continue until all the fluid is gone. If there was excessive grease, repeat the process.

It says that the fluid doesn't leave a residue, but unless it's mopped up, I always see a evaporation marks leaving a film across the surface.

Don't take this advice as gospel. I simply do it because I get flawless results every time. Out of interest, what do others think of my method?

Disclaimer: as much as it may sound like it, I enjoy no affiliation with Baader or any dealer of their products.

Andrew

• 2 years later...

I always find it leaves a film on the surface if not cleaned off properly.

Glad it's not just me, my bottle is around 5 years old and still half full, I was considering stopping to use it due to the residue thinking it maybe age related etc.

It probably left the residue from the off but I just can't remember!

I always find it leaves a film on the surface if not cleaned off properly.

Glad it's not just me, my bottle is around 5 years old and still half full, I was considering stopping to use it due to the residue thinking it maybe age related etc.

It probably left the residue from the off but I just can't remember!

According to the instructions it should never be applied directly onto the lens surface. It should be sprayed onto the micro fibre cloth and applied that way. I've found that it then evaporates quickly off the lens surface leaving them perfectly clean.

Maybe your fluid is past it's "best by" date though ;)

It maybe past it's best?

I've always applied to the cloth never directly onto the lens.

OK - sorry I misunderstood your post ;)

Sounds like the fluid has had it then - I guess there is stuff in it that will evaporate over time.

Archived