NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZ EQ6 pro

4 minutes ago, pragmatist said:

Yes I’ve got that but surely this can’t be right, just showing Octans?

Yes the newer ones don't have constellations at all.  In the Southern hemisphere they don't have Polaris so need this as a reference.  We can just use an app to get the position of Polaris at that time and place it in the applicable position in the setting circle.

That doesn't seem right.. my polar scope is usable for both hemispheres with Cassiopeia, Polaris and Octans etched onto the view... 

If suddenly polar scopes are only illustrated with one or the other hemisphere stars than that disappointing, obviously its a cash grab scam by companies, trying to limit international trade.

It seems that with the advent of apps there isn't a need for anything other than Octans now.  You get the position of Polaris from an app and place it in the right place on the circle, you don't need to rotate your mount to line the constellation up.  Below is the same as mine.

5aeb64c8aa3dc_Polarscope.png.870b962fadfa60d1d20e61b4f496178a.png

16 minutes ago, pragmatist said:

I’m guessing as long as 12 is at the top it shouldn’t be too much of a problem 

That's about it.  Just see where Polaris is on the app, and then put it in the same location using the segments and the 3 rings on your polar scope (assuming it is the same as mine).  

Archived