SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Split Zeta Cnc into 3

lunator

Tonight I had on my list of doubles the AB pair of Zeta Cnc and Epsilon Hydra.

Epsilon is a tight 3" pair of unequal mag. I split it at x133 using my 9mm Ortho and at x266 using the Barlow & 9mm it was clear. I estomated the PA at 300 degrees ( I have check this now and the WDS has it at 299 degrees)

My final target was Zeta Cnc. This pair is 0.9" a part. the A-C pair is a nice easy 5.9".

At x266 in peroids of good seeing the AB pair would become visible. They were in contact but were definately 2 stars. I estimated the PA at 60 degrees (WDS says 67 degrees)

Saturn also looked fantastic and for the 1 hour I was out there It was a very productive mini-observing session.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the report Ian 8)

I was thinking about how you and James, two of SGL's most active astronomers, achieve so much good astronomy under light-polluted skies.

I really ought to make more use of my own back-garden!

Thanks guys.

Steve the great things about double stars is light pollution is less of an issue.

I hope that within 6 months I will be in a position to submit measurements to the WDS.

Cheers

Ian

0.9" and you split it - wow!!!!

What 'scope did you use?

Al

I used an 8" Orion Optics Newt it's an F6 (1200mm)

I used a 9mm Orthoscopic eyepiece and a Barlow giving a x266 mag.

The seeing and transparancy was very good last night. On an 'average night' the AB pair would not be split.

Cheers

Ian

Archived