NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PHD2 drift align - intrinsic problem ??

I use PHD2 drift alignment but a potential problem recently occurred to me.

My guide scope and imaging scope are not quite aligned - close but not perfectly aligned.

I use my guide scope and camera for drift alignment.

Would I be better using my imaging camera and main scope for drift alignment or does it not matter?

AFAIK, since it's the mount that you're aligning, and not the 'scope, then it shouldn't matter.  There was some discussion elsewhere on this forum a while ago, I recall, but can't put my finger on it ATM.

The imaging camera, of course, is the one that you'd use to do a single- or multi- star alignment of the 'scope itself, to correct for cone error, and the like.

Well, that's as I see it anyway, but happy to be disabused about that.

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

But the guide scope isnt pointing quite where the mount 'thinks' it's pointing ??

Hiya

The calibration determines the relationship between where the guide scope / cam is pointing and the mount axes. Thereafter I don't think it matters much where exactly the guide scope is pointing so long as it doesn't move relative to the mount. PHD2 should give you a warning if anything isn't right.

Louise

Archived