Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

School astronomy Thursday night

Peco4321

Following on from my last session at my kids school, I've been asked back to do another Stargazing night, or should I say Moon gazing. The weather is really promising for tomorrow, the email has been sent to all parents, camera and motor batteries on charge, so here we go. Can't wait. Planned time is from 20:00, not so important for the moon to have it really dark. 

My aim is to have my bins on tripod and scope set up for some viewing to begin with, getting as much magnification as the seeing allows, then attach the camera at prime focus for them all to press the shutter release button and take their very own Astro photo which I'll get printed out.  I'll point out a few of the main features on show tomorrow so here's hoping for another great session  

We had a great night last night. As I was setting up there was a lot of hazy cloud but by 20:00 it cleared up beautifully. There were about 12 kids there with their parents so a good turn out. We all had a good look at the moon with all eyepieces down to 6mm and there was plenty of wows and oooo's. They all tried a bit of photography with their phones and got some good shots, I'm far too wobbly to get this sort of shot! 

I had the bins set up as well and someone brought their table top Celestron little 3 inch dobsonion that surprisingly gave a nice crisp view.

I then put my camera on at prime focus, the sky was starting to darken by now.  They all lined up to take it in turns to press the shutter release cable and get their very own first Astro photo.  I'll print them out over the weekend with their names and date on, hopefully something they can keep and cherish  

IMG_7585.JPG

34440000_Unknown.JPG

image1.JPG

To be honest @LukeSkywatcher, the ones they took were early on in the session the sky was very blue, I chose a picture from the end and agreed with the teacher to make slight adjustments to saturation and contrast to make each one slightly different. I don't think it detracts from what they will end up with and I still have their original ones if ever they want it. I may email the individual ones so they can say that is theirs. 

Archived