Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter image - improving?

I took the image below on the morning of 23 April using: Celestron C8, ASI120MC camera, ADC.

It shows more detail of the belts than my previous efforts, but while processing I thought that the image seemed on the dim side. I had set the exposure for maximum apparent contrast on the raw live image.  I think there is some histogram thing in Smartcap for this but it's hard to recollect that sort of thing when out in the dark. Ditto the focus - I adjusted for what looked sharpest and hoped for the best.

Also the ADC - I tried it out on Venus a few hours earlier with a different telescope and dropped it into the C8 with the same setting (and the same way up). Absence of fringes looked okay so I left it like that.  Is there some 'best' way of setting it?

BTW I have calculated the angular sizes of Jupiter's principal moons and got results of 2" or 3" of arc. So they should resolve with good equipment. Right?

Jup02_39_42.jpg

Very nice, I like this a lot! Good detail and you havn't tried to push the processing too much. As for focusing, I would use a Bahtinov mask on a nearby star (similar altitude) and keep refocusing every 30 mins or so.

With my scope, I can just resolve the moons into small spots (just bigger than point light sources) but I see no detail.

Lovely image with plenty of detail to see. Regarding the ADC, I've got the ZVO one and tried it once on Saturn and essentially it all comes down to playing with the levers until you see the fringes either disappear completely (if you're lucky enough) or get the best possible balance and start imaging. There's no "best" way of setting it, it all depends on the altitude of the planet and equipment of course.

I have also noticed that the image size with the ADC is at least 10% bigger than without it.  I am aware that this happens with binoviewers, but it's still a surprise. Not an unwelcome one, but if I try a x2 Barlow as well I will have a f22 telescope which may prove hard to manage.

Very nice image!  I'd say you need to adjust the ADC for the scope and subject, and if either change you need to re-adjust.  I'd re-adjust even if I'd removed the ADC and re-inserted, unless you can guarantee you re-inserted it in exactly the same orientation as before.  On your image you can see red fringe on the left and blue fringe on the right... a bit more fiddling with the ADC should get rid of this

It is a bit of a guessing game adjusting the levers but the ADC tuning function in Firecapture is very handy for this.

Archived