SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Last nights exploits

Ant

Well finally managed to get out into the garden with the scope, Din;t have any intention of it being an all nighter. So I kept my list of objects small (i.e. 2) I went for the Double Cluster in Perseus and M31 in Andromeda.

I've never managed to get a good image of the double cluster - and to be honest I thought that this one was going to come out a lot better than it has...

This is better than the image I already have so I'm fairly pleased, but what it does imply is that the M31 shot is going to be a little Rubbish!

image.jpg

This was taken with the 300D at prime focus of the 8" F/5, 10 x 30 seconds, at ISO 1600. LP was pretty bad this low down in the sky and for some reason the scope wasn't tracking very well... Mayb because I forgot to balance both the RA and Dec axis :oops:

Never Mind... At least I got out!!!

Ant

And here is the M31 shot, this time 9 images od 30 seconds a time... Need a lot more and it will be much better once it's higher in the sky.

So again not as good as I'd hoped but MUCH better than previous. This is actually a fairly hard object to image because the core is really bright compared to the arms...

image.jpg

For a comparason here is one that Russ took with the same setup at the dark site location of Kelling Heath.

M31%20desktop.jpg

Regards

Ant

Hi Ant,

I've always overlooked the Double Cluster, wish i hadn't because that is a really really nice pic. Beautiful star colours, really sharp......ace!!!

M31 looks like it needs the PS treatment, i reckon there's a cracker waiting in the wings there. I'm gonna have a play i think.

Oh that M31 wasn't my Kelling jobby, that was from the backgarden in deepest Eastleigh with the 6" f5 Startravel. :)

I'll dig out the Kelling one.

Russ

Blimey if that was taken from your back yard Russ, that makes mine look awfull... Especially as I have better skies than you :oops:

Yeah please dig out the kelling one, cause that was awsome!

Ant

:cheers: Hey Ant nice pic's matey :shock: the perseus double cluster is ACE as russ says the colours of the star's are great very nice!, M31 sure is a [removed word] with that core normally overexposeing but hey yours is fine and i am sure theres plenty of info in that pic to play with too.

Nice one Ant

James :)

Don't think they'll be much more to get out of it! Spent about an hour trying to get the lanes better but everything I do just burs the core out more...

I have the unstacked Tif's if anyone wants a go. There are 9 @ 3.3meg each.

Ant

Nice shots there guys!!... just waiting for the day I may achieve something like that!. I will be giving it a good go with the sc1 when picked up from Russ after my hols!!.

Rob

Don't even attempt M31 with a webcam Rob, you'll only end up REALLY disapointed.

I got some nice results on M51 with the webcam

image.jpg

M31 is just too Damn Big!

Thanks for the re-edits guys. Think the answer is just more frames needed for the stack.

Cheers

Ant

That was a stack of 19 images - each 20 seconds long.

It's actually fairly easy to get something with M51 because it's fairly bright and smallish (compared with M31).

I think the two "Blobs" were showing up on the chip after only a few seconds exposure... which is really handy to get the object centered - when you can see it that is.

Ant

TBH if you could get 50 or a 100 - which is actually only about 35 minutes worth of imaging time, you could have a reall goodun on your hands...

I wanted to go for M27 last night instead of M31 - as M31 was very very low... But I couldn't remember where M27 is, and I couldn;t be arsed to turn the lappy on!

Ant

I wanted to go for M27 last night instead of M31 - as M31 was very very low... But I couldn't remember where M27 is, and I couldn;t be arsed to turn the lappy on!

That's not good enough Emberson.......i want a thousand lines!

'i will learn all the messiers and will never need to use a star chart'

:):):):):o

I had a star chart and couldn't remember which constellation it was in!!! :oops:

Sort of makes it worse really...

I'm actually working on a book to get rid of this sort of problem... More on that later,

Ant

Archived