Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 11049 NexStar 4 SE: Lost :)

Hi,

I just signed up to this forum out of desperation and looking for little help.

I purchased Celestron 11049 NexStar 4 SE from Amazon and my model is as follows:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-11049-NexStar-Computerised-Telescope/dp/B000GUFOBO/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_421_t_0/260-9054725-8092662?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P8M5XVA3SKZRX1G4V7V4

I have been very careful with every single component treating it more softly than an infant and set the whole thing up yesterday.

I have read up about Telescope so I used the Solar Film in front of my Star Pointer (while it was away and disconnected from the Telescope) to look at the setting sun) to find direction.

I then connecting it to my Telescope and aligned it.

Its the second day of Moon so I can visibiliy see the Moon so when I used the GoTo feature, telescope moved and went straight to the Moon. I could see it from the Star Pointer but my Telescope shows anything but bright white light and no view.

By this time I had spebt hours reading up and aligning it so I put it away.

Today (3rd of Moon and I can see it), I aligned it to Moon and my Red dot is still on the Moon. Telescope shows NOTHING but bright white light, sunset occured about 30 minutes ago.

I then researched and read up that its better to focus on the Moon using the main telescope rather than the Star Finder so I tried to focus using the main Telescope as best as I can. As best because it is just bright white light but no view.

I have used the Focus button (closed it all the way, slowly opened it back) but there is no difference to my view whatsoever.

I am using the standard Eye Piece which with from the Telescope and trying to look at the Moon which I can see with my eyes trying to get used to the Telescope. It is only the 3rd day of the Moon so it isn't the full Moon which will bedazzle me or the Telescope.

This is the first time in my life I have used a telescope but before today I did think that I was half-intelligent and can figure things out.

Is this thing or what (stupid thing) I am doing wrong. I will leave it out for a few hours for it to get absolutely dark and see if the view changes in any way but from an hour before sunset (to 45 minutes after) it is bright white and no difference in view whatsoever.

I took out the Eye piece and carefully examined it and it only fits one way so there is no way that I have done something dumb like putting it backwards etc.

The Telescope body is a single piece which I carefully took out of its packing and put on Tripod. Apart from the cover there is nothing for me to do or detach.

When I put my hand in front of the telescope (about 2 inches forward), it shows reflection of light.

Is all this normal?

I have used my eyes and my glasses and it makes no difference! All I see is bright white light and no view whatsoever.

Thanks for reading this and I am sure that this is something absolutely basic and stupid which I am doing wrong.

I just wanted a second opinion before I try to return this Telescope.

Probably best to play with it during the day.

Point at a distant object and adjust focus on the main scope with the knob at the rear.

As you've already found it has many turns of range.

Once focussed adjust your finder so that it points at the same object.

Then later on try on the moon, centre on your finder first then hopfully the moon will be in your eyepiece, you will have to adjust focus again as the moon is much further away than your daytime object, but you shouldn't  have to turn many turns on the knob.

Michael 

I doubt very much that there is anything wrong with the telescope.

The range of focus of  a Maksutov is very large, and there is only a very small range of adjustment in which it is in or near focus. As another poster suggests, try it in daylight with the scope aimed at a distant tree or TV aerial.  If you don't start by aiming at a bright and/or high contrast object, it can be very difficult to find the focal point.

A good trick is to aim at a brilliant point of light in the night sky (such as Sirius or Jupiter). You should see a broad circle of light with a dark hole in the middle (like a doughnut) . Then it's easy - just adjust the focus in the direction that makes the doughnut smaller. Eventually it should turn into a planet or a point of light. 

Don't feel defeated. There are numerous frustrations at the beginning. You will have a lightbulb moment and that sense of achievement. The Moon is very bright. Just focus very slowly in and out til it comes into focus. And as said, use an eyepiece with the largest number you have.

Good luck

• 1 month later...
On 20/04/2018 at 21:12, happy-kat said:

Welcome

Have you inserted the diagonal first into the focuser before your eyepiece? Use the eyepiece with the highest number (lowest magnification).

Hi,

Thanks everyone for responding, it is most appreciated.

I have given up and not tried anything else since but this is the only reply which I don't understand. The Telescope only comes with a single eyepiece and there is no diagonal or anything else to adjust.

You insert the eye piece and turn the knob and that's all so which diagonal are you referring to?

Nexstar 4SE comes with no diagonal piece but just the eye-piece, see this picture

celestron-nexstar-4se-c90-t-adaptor-806-

Ah ha, picture makes it clear, I now don't think your telescope uses a diagonal I think when using the eyepiece arrangement the telescope has what it needs built in within the rear cowl so you only need add your eyepiece. Sorry for any confusion.

I haven't read a manual but suspect there is a little lever you use to either direct the light path to your camera or the eyepiece. Then I suspect there is a separate knob you turn that adjusts focus. Focus travel you need to wind all the way fully in both directions to find where the focus point is. 

I'll try and check a manual later to ensure I'm not making more blunders.

EDIT: 

STAR DIAGONAL:    Internal Flip mirror for straight thru or 90 viewing angle

The NexStar 4 has an internal diagonal mirror that diverts light to the eyepiece barrel on top of the telescope's rear cell. The eyepiece fits into the barrel built-in to the rear cell.

If you take a long time getting going then dew may have formed across the telescope preventing a clear view. Could use a roll of card to act as a temporary dew shield does not need to be elaborate. Re reading your post you say you left the telescope outside for a few hours before use, I could guess that the front of the telescope would be dewed right up by the time you went to use it. You must not wipe the glass over, it is best to prevent the dew forming in the first place. If dew has formed then the view through the telescope will not be clear.

Have you tried lever marked 6 on page 5 of the manual to flip it one way and then the other. 

Archived