Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with an 80mm Refractor

Synchronicity

Hi all

I'm new to all this and have just bought a Skywatcher Esprit 80 ED Pro.  My main interest is DSOs but given the time of year I thought I'd like to experiment with some solar imaging too. 

So firstly, is the telescope I have, with appropriate filters, suitable for solar imaging?  I get that it might not be what you'd choose but is it worth spending time with it?

If so, what should I be looking for in the way of filters, without spending lots of money (maybe up to £125ish total)?

I'm currently using a Canon EOS 7D DSLR - will that be ok?

To put your minds at rest I am absolutely aware of the risks of looking at the sun with eyes or equipment and will be taking all the required precautions.

Many thanks

Michael

I use an APM 80mm F/6 triplet for most of my solar images. Without spending a lot of money, white light is the only option. A Baader Solar Film filter is cheapest, followed by a Herschel wedge. The Lunt 1.25" one should be within your budget. The latter is definitely better. I should warn you that the sun is very quiet at the moment, with little in the way of sunspots for days on end. H-alpha and Ca-K views are also quiet, but do show some more activity. These come at a stiff price, however.

Your DSLR should be fine for white light imaging. I got this result by stacking 50 images taken with my old EOS 450D, using the APM 80mm F/6 with 2.5x PowerMate

sun06072014white.jpg

This was in 2014, when there was a lot more to be seen. The 7D should be much better

14 hours ago, Synchronicity said:

Hi all

I'm new to all this and have just bought a Skywatcher Esprit 80 ED Pro.  My main interest is DSOs but given the time of year I thought I'd like to experiment with some solar imaging too. 

So firstly, is the telescope I have, with appropriate filters, suitable for solar imaging?  I get that it might not be what you'd choose but is it worth spending time with it?

If so, what should I be looking for in the way of filters, without spending lots of money (maybe up to £125ish total)?

I'm currently using a Canon EOS 7D DSLR - will that be ok?

To put your minds at rest I am absolutely aware of the risks of looking at the sun with eyes or equipment and will be taking all the required precautions.

Many thanks

Michael

Hi Michael

Welcome :) 

up to GBP125  will get you into white light imaging as commented on in the previous post

to get into Ha imaging to see the prominences etc, you need a much bigger budget to get a narrow band Ha filter in the 0.4 to 0.7 Angstrom range

These cost big money  .... Lunt, Colorado, Daystar are 3 of the top brands

my Lunt LS60THa = AU$2599

my Daystar Chromospheric filter = ~AU$1700

It was only last August that I was finally ( after years of wish listing) in a position to get in to the Ha filter game

Dave

3 hours ago, Davenn said:

Hi Michael

Welcome :) 

up to GBP125  will get you into white light imaging as commented on in the previous post

to get into Ha imaging to see the prominences etc, you need a much bigger budget to get a narrow band Ha filter in the 0.4 to 0.7 Angstrom range

These cost big money  .... Lunt, Colorado, Daystar are 3 of the top brands

my Lunt LS60THa = AU$2599

my Daystar Chromospheric filter = ~AU$1700

It was only last August that I was finally ( after years of wish listing) in a position to get in to the Ha filter game

Dave

Ouch!! That's well out of my league - especially considering how many dinners and bunches of flowers I'd have to buy my wife if she saw the receipts!

All the best

Michael

Archived