Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 18th April

Stayed up into the early hours testing a few things last night, and noticed Jupiter shining bright. Targeted her with the mak 127,and the views were stunning. The first time I’ve seen the banding appear so clear, it was an absolute joy to behold.  Watched her for about 15 minutes or so then decided to try and use the smartphone to capture an image or two.  Then spent a good 20-25 minutes fannying about trying to get the phone aligned nicely over the eyepiece. Gave up in frustration just in time to see Jupiter slide behind the house. Still, the memory is now indelibly etched upon my brain for all time ?.  Anybody else get some nice views?

Hi, I saw it last night just before going to bed and was too lazy to get the scope out!  I don't think I would have seen it though as it was in between two houses. 

The views through the 127 must have been great because it looked orange to me with the naked eye.  Looks clear tonight so I might have a go later. I know how you feel about the smartphone trick.  I gave up on that.. far to annoying...

Glad you had a good view of Jupiter last night.

I was out last night and as I was about to pack up after a night of lunar, Venus and globular clusters M3, M13, M53, M92. Jupiter popped its head above the horizon and I thought it'd be rude not to have a quick peek. Not the best I've seen it but not bad. It was a bit low on the horizon so the atmosphere was probably interfering.  Definitely worth looking at though and it was nice to be out on a warm night for a change, the moons looked nicely spaced last night. Looking forward to a warm clear night outside tonight.

Steve 

It had probably risen a bit when I viewed it, as it was about 2am onwards, and crystal clear.  Off to find somedark skies tonight.  Really want to bag some westerly views, that I cannot do from home :) 

I went out earlier than normal and caught views of the Moon and Venus shortly before they slipped behind the house. I then went on to look at some of the brighter stars Arcturus, Procyon etc. Did try to view some DSOs but honestly weren't even sure where I should be looking. I got some nice views of Jupiter once it rose to the south east and it's 4 'dancing moons' last night, I loved every second of it. After this I decided to get a couple hours of sleep and set my alarm ready to catch some views of Saturn. Once outside I set the 'scope up and experimented with different EPs, Barlow and filters, I knew it was Saturn as the rings around the planet were easily visible. However, it was extremely blurry, even when focused to perfection (In my mind) couldn't make out much if at all any detail and decided I was done for the night. Hopefully tonight will also provide some nice views.

3 hours ago, Ande said:

It had probably risen a bit when I viewed it, as it was about 2am onwards, and crystal clear.  Off to find somedark skies tonight.  Really want to bag some westerly views, that I cannot do from home :) 

Did the scope perform ok after the collimation?

3 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

Did the scope perform ok after the collimation?

I viewed Jupiter through the mak 127,so that was fine. The dob 250px also had an airing, and performed admirably. Looks like the collimation went to plan against all odds. Thank you ? 

I got a mak 127 at the end of last year and still haven't had the chance to view Jupiter through it.... ridiculous! Weather and timing just haven't worked out for me so far this year. I managed to catch Jupiter (first time this year) last weekend with my ST102, but seeing wasn't great and I couldn't make out any banding. I was up visiting family and didn't have the mak with me... NOOOOOOO! School boy error.

However, I have the mak this weekend and your post has given me inspiration to take advantage of the clear night tonight. Please please please,  whatever deity controls weather in Scotland, be good to me tonight!

7 hours ago, davyludo said:

I got a mak 127 at the end of last year and still haven't had the chance to view Jupiter through it.... ridiculous! Weather and timing just haven't worked out for me so far this year. I managed to catch Jupiter (first time this year) last weekend with my ST102, but seeing wasn't great and I couldn't make out any banding. I was up visiting family and didn't have the mak with me... NOOOOOOO! School boy error.

However, I have the mak this weekend and your post has given me inspiration to take advantage of the clear night tonight. Please please please,  whatever deity controls weather in Scotland, be good to me tonight!

Fingers crossed for you.  I’m sure you won’t be disappointed once you finally get Jupiter in the sights of your 127.  Haven’t checked the forecast yet, but have woken up to nice blue skies here in Worcestershire. Last night looked great, but I could only manage a cursory 30 minutes or so. I’ve just had two really late sessions, stretching well into the early hours, and spent most of yesterday with a pounding headache paying the price.  A sensible bedtime was forced upon me ?

1 hour ago, Ande said:

Fingers crossed for you.  I’m sure you won’t be disappointed once you finally get Jupiter in the sights of your 127.  Haven’t checked the forecast yet, but have woken up to nice blue skies here in Worcestershire. Last night looked great, but I could only manage a cursory 30 minutes or so. I’ve just had two really late sessions, stretching well into the early hours, and spent most of yesterday with a pounding headache paying the price.  A sensible bedtime was forced upon me ?

Well, I managed to see Jupiter! I love Jupiter and have seen it many times through my other scopes... but with the mak, it was something else. 

The clarity of the bands and their colour was just incredible. It certainly wasn't the best night for observing, lots of shimmering and sometimes the bands were completely washed out. But then the air would settle and I'd just get the most detailed views I've ever seen of Jupiter. I think I must have spent about an hour and a half just tracking the giant across the sky. Got some views at 200x which I was surprised about. One day I'll get the GRS, that's the next mission.

Managed some open and globular clusters as well. Split a couple of doubles. And of course a wee cursory gander at the moon - would be rude not to!

I think that was my longest session since November. Amazing how one session can totally reignite your excitement for the hobby. Although... I'm suffering from a bit of a sore head and groggy eyes this morning. Coffee is required!

It really is a fantastic little scope for planetary viewing isn’t it?  I was absolutely spellbound with the views of Jupiter.  Looking forward to peering at Mars, as it’s supposed to be at its best this year. Might have to manage my expectations a little for Mars though ?. 

28 minutes ago, Ande said:

It really is a fantastic little scope for planetary viewing isn’t it?  I was absolutely spellbound with the views of Jupiter.  Looking forward to peering at Mars, as it’s supposed to be at its best this year. Might have to manage my expectations a little for Mars though ?. 

Amazing little scope, really impressed at the performance. I was actually just thinking about how good Saturn may look! Can't wait for planets to be positioned higher in the sky. I also find the mak great for tighter open clusters and globs. 

Tonight is meant to be clear for a few hours.... can I do it to myself? :tongue2:

• 2 weeks later...

I first caught sight of Jupiter by chance on the 21st this month. Being a newbie I got my tablet to confirm what it was then set up again after packing up an hour earlier. I was so impressed and got some video with my phone held over eyepiece on my Mak 127. I did however come to the conclusion that I need a new 10mm as the stock one won't focus properly. I was more prepared Friday past and managed to get more video. This was with Mak 127, 25mm stock do, 2x Barlow, sony z3 phone held over eyepiece, still taken and edited from video on phone :happy7:

FB_IMG_1525121919672.jpg

Archived