SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M31 "Another Hyperstar image from Kelling"

Ford Prefect

Another hyperstar image from Kelling, I'm still struggling to get the best out of the data, but that will come with pratice I suppose. :D

It is strange but ever since I got back from Kelling I can't think of anything but processing astro images, I'm even dreaming about it :shock: :shock: :shock: . I think I might be becoming a little obsessed. :):D:lol:

Jon

OTA: celestron SCT C8 @ f/2 (Hyperstar v3)

Guiding: William Optics 72 DSI pro II PHD

QHY8 MaximDL, 15x300s

Stacked using: DeepSkyStacker

Processed using PSCS2

post-14336-13387734755_thumb.jpg

Well done Jon, and welcome to the world of obsession. I think I have spent around 20 hours so far on my M31 data, trying various things etc with it, so I know exactly where you are coming from!

You have done well with this because of all DSO's, it seems to me that M31 is one of the hardest to make look "right". In the end, I took as an example the picture in SPM's atlas of the universe from a 90cm OTA as the gold standard, and am doing what steps need to be done to get as close to that as possible. Even then, it seems different peoples perceptions of M31 varies widely, just look at the huge range of images on here of this fabulous target, look at all the different styles and processes, and for nearly every one there is somebody who will say "Best I've seen."

One thing that does seem for certain, as Roger says, we are never happy ourselves with the result! For me, the best M31 I have seen on here is MartinB's recent one. This is very close to the image (gold standard) in the atlas, and is I would imagine as good as it could get using "amateur" equipment.

The fact that we can get ANY detail at all from an object so far away never ceases to amaze me, and I think your pic here serves to highlight just how good an image can be, taken by ordinary blokes, on an ordinary night, with relatively inexpensive equipment.

So an excellent result all round I think!

TJ

Excellent image Jon. Kelling was very successful from an imaging and generating data point of view, it's nice to see nealy two weeks later you are still processing the data. I have to agree with Tim, M31 is one of the hardest objects to image, lots of high contrast areas and fine detail, difficult to get the balance right, but your well on your way.

Steve..

No you are not obsessed mate, you got the data down to your computer, and although I don't speak from experience, (yet). I do know that the processing of the data must require patience in abundance, and also skill at manipuating the various tools at the imagers disposal.

That skill only develops by doing it, and that is what you are doing. I think the Image you have got here is great, unfortunately the biggest critic is alway going to be yourself. That means you won't give up, and that is a good thing, because it will ensure you do improve. One thing you have to be aware of, is not doing it to the exclusion of everything else. Your life is for living, and Astro imaging is not the keystone of your life.

Ron. :)

One thing you have to be aware of, is not doing it to the exclusion of everything else. Your life is for living, and Astro imaging is not the keystone of your life.

Ron. :)

Hmmm, i'm not sure now Ron, is this a meant to be a joke ??? :D:lol::D

One thing you have to be aware of, is not doing it to the exclusion of everything else. Your life is for living, and Astro imaging is not the keystone of your life.

Ron. :D

Hmmm, i'm not sure now Ron, is this a meant to be a joke ??? :lol::D:lol:

:laughing2: Certainly not, but I might change my mind when If I get good at it. :)

Nice image John, out of interest, which part of it aren't you satisfied with? I had a bash at m31 when I first got my WO66 a couple of months ago, only my 3rd or 4th dso target.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg85/SkyAndStuff/PB_M31.jpg

taken with a canon 450d 87x30sec iso800 exposures through an unguided WO zs66 on a celestron nexstar 6SE mount, I probably culled more images than I actually stacked :) I'm not happy with the core on mine, I think its blown out, pretty happy with the rest of it although now I've got a little more experience I'd like to revisit it for more exposures as I've got a few ideas on what to do to hopefully produce a much better image.

I think the beauty of all this is that We've always got the raws to play with once we've learnt new processing techniques.

Archived