NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help! SynScan Upgrade - Doncaster

Is anyone based around Doncaster/South Yorkshire who could reinstall 4.3x firmware on my V4 handset?

I’ve just tried upgrading to 4.39 and with a combination of Win10 and a usb/serial adaptor I now have a handset that is wiped and won’t progress more than a few % even with low set on the SynScan.

It was working fine before on 4.38 so I dunno what got into me to try the upgrade in the first place. I guess you live and learn.

I’m happy to travel and I don’t mind what version gets put on so long as I can get it working again.

Pretty please...

I'm in Essex and a Celestron user so no help ! But ... Had the same problems on my AVX mount. Have you checked that the serial - USB adapter has the correct driver, check manufacturers web site as the windows auto install one is usually useless ! Also try re downloading the sysnscan firmware into a different location then have another try.

All the best and good luck .

35 minutes ago, knobby said:

I'm in Essex and a Celestron user so no help ! But ... Had the same problems on my AVX mount. Have you checked that the serial - USB adapter has the correct driver, check manufacturers web site as the windows auto install one is usually useless ! Also try re downloading the sysnscan firmware into a different location then have another try.

All the best and good luck .

Thanks for this. Yeah, checked drivers, changed folders, tried changing settings in device drivers, furthest I’ve got is about 16% and then a fail. It normally fails at 1.84% weirdly.

I’m now contemplating buying a SynScan WiFi cos I can’t be ar**d with handset firmware updates that use a flash erase and no return to original factory setting if per chance you screw it up - which appears quite a few do! Lol

Seem to remember baud rate can make a difference, have you tried different speeds , also watch your sleep settings in pc ... Or keep moving mouse about , I find moving the cursor around in circles helps ? well, in my head anyway.

13 hours ago, knobby said:

Seem to remember baud rate can make a difference, have you tried different speeds , also watch your sleep settings in pc ... Or keep moving mouse about , I find moving the cursor around in circles helps ? well, in my head anyway.

Lol - I actually did do the mouse thing! I got further with the lower baud rate but it still failed. It’s probably the usb rs232 adaptor not coping but I don’t want to invest in a more expensive one only to have the same issue...

13 hours ago, AdeKing said:

When I had the same issues, it was the baud rate on the handset that was too high for the USB to Serial adaptor.

Look at the box on the last page of these instructions and see if it helps.

https://inter-static.skywatcher.com/downloads/instructiononfirmwareupdate_synscanhandcontroller.pdf

Hope this helps,

Ade

Thanks Ade. Yeah I followed these. The low baud rate made a difference initially but it still eventually failed - and it was running a lot slower than the 240s they quote for completion...

Hi Dazzyt

Unfortunately I’m too far from you to help physically with a fix but there are a couple of thing you can check.

Does the USB to RS232 converter you are using contain a Prolific or FTDI chip set? 

With the USB to RS232 converter plugged in, open Device Manager in Windows settings and in the device list look for the serial port, right-click and check driver details where it will say Prolific or FTDI.

There are many cheap, counterfeit, Prolific USB to RS232 converters in use and still on sale and Windows won’t work properly with them, even genuine Prolific chip-sets seem to have issues with Windows. If your’s is a Prolific chip-set try borrowing a converter using a FTDI chip-set.

One of the commonest problem with RS232 communication occurs when a leakage current from the computer power supply can pass over the serial cable between computer and device or vice-versa.

If you are using a laptop try running on battery power only without a mains adaptor plugged in to the laptop, make sure to select a power saving mode in Windows that doesn’t put the computer to sleep when on battery power for at least twenty minutes if you try this.

If you are powering the handset/mount by a mains adaptor try powering from a battery pack, if your handset is a version that has it’s own, separate power input, use that to power the handset during flashing, preferably using battery power. If you can separately power the handset make sure the handset is not connected to the mount during flashing.

Unfortunately, ‘flashing’ the handset is a risky business. Despite all the guff manufacturers will publish, clearing and rewriting flash memory can easily damage flash memory chips if pre conditions are not strictly observed. Even under ideal conditions, my own engineering experience indicated a flash memory failure rate of around 30% during reflashing and when I did that for a living I used to carry a large range of spare flash chips with me because this scenario would often occur. 

I have the same problem. Bought an adapter off amazon can only get 1.84% uploaded. Do invested 53 quid in a synscan wifi adapter and downloaded synscan pro to pc and android phone. Works perfectly though sky safari 6 on ipad doesnt work. Getting version 5 android as assured that will. Not sure why skywatcher sre persisting with handsets they are cheap looking and flimsy.

27 minutes ago, John MacDonald said:

I have the same problem. Bought an adapter off amazon can only get 1.84% uploaded. Do invested 53 quid in a synscan wifi adapter and downloaded synscan pro to pc and android phone. Works perfectly though sky safari 6 on ipad doesnt work. Getting version 5 android as assured that will. Not sure why skywatcher sre persisting with handsets they are cheap looking and flimsy.

I’m with ya brother, although I’m gonna try using Sky Safari 5 on my iPad along with Synscanpro on my phone which I think should work?

Failing that the SynScanpro app looks good on either device and so is already a big improvement on the handset!

On a plus point, the guys at Rother Valley Optics will reflash the handset for me for £20, which is great, although for an extra £33 I can get the WiFi adapter instead...

Decisions, decisions! Lol

Either way I’m a happier bunny today ?

1 hour ago, Dazzyt66 said:

I’m pretty sure it’s a dodgy converter, although I did try the other tips you suggested and still get a fail at 1.84% ?

Sounds like a proper re-flash is required, I don't think the boot-loader that Synta distribute with their software is particularly robust. I have had a search of my old OBS PC because I did have a list of the various flash chips that Synta uses in the handsets and the corresponding flash manufacturers recommended boot-loader program, unfortunately I can't find it despite searching three hard drives. Expect it will turn up when I don't need it!

There is one last thing I can think to try.

Restart the laptop in safe mode, as soon as the power-button is pressed to start-up the laptop repeatedly press (toggle) the f8 key about once per second until the safe-boot screen appears, select 'Safe Mode" from the options using the cursor keys, usually the first item on the list, (i.e. not safe mode with command prompt or safe mode with network, just plain old 'Safe Mode')

The PC will launch with a minimum driver configuration and in a low graphics mode but it will still support USB to serial devices, plug in the USB-RS232 converter and connect to the handset, then try to reflash again.

With fewer background processes running maybe the re-flash will be successful under these conditions.

After finishing with this trial and to boot the laptop normally after running in safe mode, shutdown the laptop and restart, no need to press any keys this time, then, if asked during boot-up select the boot option item from the list 'Start Windows Normally' 

5 hours ago, Dazzyt66 said:

Thanks Ade. Yeah I followed these. The low baud rate made a difference initially but it still eventually failed - and it was running a lot slower than the 240s they quote for completion...

Glad you have found that suggestion and tried that already and sorry it didn't work :(

My v3 handset takes about half an hour to update using the LO speed setting.

I seem to remember that I also had a problem with the serial cable that plugs into the handset.  I purchased a cheap one from eBay rather than getting the Skywatcher one and the cheap one also caused the update to fail.

I've previously used an AzGoto and have just got a SynScan upgrade kit for the EQ5 and have to confess that I'm waiting for payday to get the Synscan Wifi adaptor, as that looks much more user friendly.

Hope that you find a solution soon.

Regards,

Ade

6 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Does anyone know if the version 3 cable works with the version 4 handset?

If it does you can pm me your address and I'll loan you mine to see if that helps.

Thanks so much for the offer. I’ve just purchased the WiFi adapter from RVO so I don’t need to get the handset working now (although I might get it done at some point). Thanks again though for the offer - FYI I think the cables are the same, it’s just the powering of the handset that is different.

@Oddsocks you have offered some great advice. I may try the safeboot option at some point.

Thanks to you all who contributed for the advice. From what I have read and seen the WiFi option has far less drama... ?

Archived