Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Abort!

johnfosteruk

Due to cloud, again, obviously. This was a promising mosaic at the end of tonight's session but the climate had other ideas. Still, a nice image.

5 panes, 450 frames of 4500 each. Pipp>AS!3>MS ICE>IMPPG and oriented for that spacecraft approaching kind of feeling :)

Best seen full size.

5abd77ad16c7a_Lunarpartialmosaic29-03-18.thumb.png.4eea6c965b150342847f1b2b26d627b4.png

Great image! pardon my ignorance in AP, but capturing mosaics using dedicated AP cams seems like an effort, is there an advantage over using a DSLR for ex and eyepiece projection? which will capture the area desired in one shot?

I gave it some thought and answered my own question I’m sure, with single shots from an SLR you’re at the mercy of turbulent atmospheric conditions and may need a great many shots to get one good one. Whereas with an AP cam shooting many FPS chances of getting good shots to stack are far greater.

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

Great image! pardon my ignorance in AP, but capturing mosaics using dedicated AP cams seems like an effort, is there an advantage over using a DSLR for ex and eyepiece projection? which will capture the area desired in one shot?

DSLRs have a bayer matrix which in essence means you're not capturing all of the data. For lunar, a mono AP camera which doesn't have the matrix is far more efficient. Plus with fast video frame rates you're overcoming the seeing as best you can.

I however captured video here using the DSLR! Why? A few reasons.

Rickety mount which vibrates, a lot, especially when you clunk a heavy mirror up and down (D3200 doesn't have lock up)

The seeing. I'll shoot stills at 1 every 2 secs to allow the vibration to dampen. I've not much chance against the seeing with that (I'm processing a full disc stills image at the moment and stacking 75 of 500 frames)

With video I can up the ISO where necessary and it doesn't take all night to capture enough frames for that to be worthwhile in the stacking.

HTH

6 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Yes, I edited my question after giving it some thought Just before your response.

thanks!

You obviously thought quicker than I did and I'm the one who knows what he's doing. Worrying :)

Anyhoo, here's a comparison. The other reason I do mosaics of course is with this setup it's a bigger (and hopefully more detailed, although not tonight!) image.

5abd7e73c0667_stillsandvidcomparison.thumb.png.50efd341ab75a7b830b4c5b739e1e974.png

Yes true, after thinking a bit more about what i asked, i can't help but wonder about an AP cams ability to capture a full FOV high magnification shot where the moon fills the FOV because of their limited chip sizes?

lets say for example, looking at the moon at 150X will fill your eyepiece FOV and the eye can take in the whole FOV but a CCD chip unless large cannot capture that same FOV at once but may need several shots correct?

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

Yes true, after thinking a bit more about what i asked, i can't help but wonder about an AP cams ability to capture a full FOV high magnification shot where the moon fills the FOV because of their limited chip sizes?

lets say for example, looking at the moon at 150X will fill your eyepiece FOV and the eye can take in the whole FOV but a CCD chip unless large cannot capture that same FOV at once but may need several shots correct?

Pretty much, and cams which can capture the full FOV are pricey. - See Ibbo's Chameleon Cam.

2 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

I am correct saying it does full disc with your setup aren't I?

It does with the Lunt 60 , but so does the Blackfly  and the Ed 80 on the moon.

With the Chameleon I let the Sun drift through so as to negate the NR's

Full discs with the FS102 and WO132 are 4 or 6 pane jobs.

The Cham 3 is faster rate and smaller pixel size.

Archived