Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Working with 32 bit images

15 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Thanks William and Silverastro.

I think the best solution for me (and perhaps anyone else ona budget) will be to open DSS files as 32 bit in gimp, stretch with levels and curves to maximise the dynamic range without losing fainter detail, then save as 16 bit and finish using PS (to benefit from the plugins and actions).

Paintshop Pro claims to have 16-bit filters so might be better than using PS CS2, but it 'forgets' my gradient exterminator key and doesn't have Noel's actions...

Why not do the initial stretch using DSS itself, I find the sliders give far better results than anything I can to in PS etc.

Alan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Why not do the initial stretch using DSS itself, I find the sliders give far better results than anything I can to in PS etc.

Alan

That's what I do now, but I have been cruelly abused for admitting to doing so :icon_biggrin:

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That's what I do now, but I have been cruelly abused for admitting to doing so :icon_biggrin:

I used to use the sliders in DSS and save with them applied as a quick check on an image but found it impossible to get even close using the "proper" method.

Alan

As has been stated by others, Photoshop has limited capability with 32 bit images, but you can use levels adjustment (but not curves), and Gradient Xterminator also works on 32 bit images.  This might help for at least getting a good colour balance before converting to 16 bit.

36 minutes ago, GraemeH said:

As has been stated by others, Photoshop has limited capability with 32 bit images, but you can use levels adjustment (but not curves), and Gradient Xterminator also works on 32 bit images.  This might help for at least getting a good colour balance before converting to 16 bit.

I can get Gradex to work on an autosave.tif. but not levels.

When converting to 16-bit I get exposure and gamma controls. Seem to be a bit clumsy.

My experiment (with rosette data) ended up with colourful stars and virtually no nebula :-(

Archived