Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modded NEQ6 vs modded HEQ5

Recently I have been planning on getting a Heq5 with a belt mod for use with my SW evostar 80ED, and later get a 200mm or 250mm f4 reflector telescope for smaller nebula and galaxy groups like the deer lick galaxies. Would it be worth investing in an neq6 with rowan belt mod or just getting the heq5 (PS you're looking at 1.35 arc sec per pixel).

Assuming you're thinking of imaging ... Personally, i would suggest NEQ6. It's a beast of a mount but will carry your wind sail pretty well. You will need to factor in other accessories like guidescope/OAG, DSLR/CCD/CMOS, cables, dovetails etc ... it all adds up in the end.

But remember, NEQ6 is a heavy mount so best start eating and start putting on some weight :)

HTH

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

Assuming you're thinking of imaging ... Personally, i would suggest NEQ6. It's a beast of a mount but will carry your wind sail pretty well. You will need to factor in other accessories like guidescope/OAG, DSLR/CCD/CMOS, cables, dovetails etc ... it all adds up in the end.

But remember, NEQ6 is a heavy mount so best start eating and start putting on some weight :)

HTH

I have guidescope, Guide camera and Modded Dslr covered. Reason for the upgrade is my Celestron CG5 Advanced GT has passed away :crybaby2:

7 minutes ago, Joeistotalycool said:

I have guidescope, Guide camera and Modded Dslr covered. Reason for the upgrade is my Celestron CG5 Advanced GT has passed away :crybaby2:

Ouch, sorry to hear about that. 

Someone wise once told me that the best kit is something that you will get to use more. HEQ5 is lighter and i would most certainly be encouraged to use a lot more but i like to play safe and take in all the extra bits that i might not have thought about and buy something that will cover it all hence the reason why i'm suggesting NEQ6 to you. Yes it is a heavier mount but then you're looking 200/250mm scope which is going to be a big beast and for that you need a sturdier mount :)

I had HEQ5 modded with Rowan belt mod, and then exchanged it to EQ6 (that I also modded with belt drive). In my opinion even 8" f/4 newtonian can be little bit too much for HEQ5 (for imaging). I upgraded mount once I upgraded telescope from 6" f/5 to 8" f/4. EQ6 handles 8" telescope very well. I also used EQ6 for 130mm triplet (12kg total weight of the imaging system) and currently for 10" ACF (13.5kg total on the mount) and still it is ok. However ACF is short tube, I am not sure about 10" f/4 newtonian on EQ6...

EQ6 and HEQ5 actually have very similar designs but EQ6 have higher capacity and it is also heavier. The tracking accuracy should be similar though EQ6 has a bigger worm gear with more teeth so it should have smoother PE curve.

If you think transportation is an issue HEQ5 is a better option because it is easier to carry around. And the best gear is the gear that you will use so if you buy a bigger mount just because it is better but never use it that would be a waste.

But if you think you can carry it of course EQ6 is the better option, if the price difference is not a problem.

On the other hand a 10" newtonian is hard to image even with premium mounts so the EQ6 is the better option for that. I would actually suggest a more compact slower scope(RC/SCT) with a reducer than a big fast newtonian. But for smaller refractors the difference won't matter that much.

I've had both and they are both excellent.  The 6 is very much bigger and heavier than the 5.

I regret selling my 6 now, even though I have a MESU in my obs.  I'd like something to use for mobile purposes (home and away from home) when the MESU is imaging so I can do more visual on the [few] clear nights we have with my C925.

So, when i get back from my jollies I will be looking for one.

Archived