NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does anyone know what this Galaxy [?] is?

billyharris72

Hi all:

I just grabbed this quickly during a gap in the clouds. I wanted an image of the Double Quasar (had been reading about it in March's Astronomy Now). I uploaded the image to Astrometry.net to see what else I had (in addition to the obvious) and was a little surprised that one obvious object did not get labelled (the one I've put just RA and Dec on). Neither is it listed in Stellarium or in my AstroArt star atlas. It's not an artifact; the image in AS also shows it, so there is something there.

No biggie, but it has piqued my curiosity. Anyone know what it is?

Billy.

WhatIsThat.jpg

Sky Safari shows that as PGC 28990. It says: PGC 28990 is a 14th magnitude Spiral Galaxy appearing in the constellation Ursa Major. it is 71 million light years from our solar system. It appears roughly 0.6 x 0.4 arcminutes in size, corresponding to a physical diameter of 12091 light years. It is a spiral galaxy of morphological type Sb and is receding at 1298 km/s - about 0.4% of light speed.

Archived