NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LiPo battery power supply

i was brainstorming last night about a power supply for my LX200, i have a deep cycle marine battery which goes on forever literally but it weighs as much as the scope, no kidding, i fly RC airplanes so i have no shortage of LiPo batteries and they are all 

3 cell (12.6V charged) in the 3500-4500 Mah range. After doing some searching regarding the power draw for the LX200 i came across these numbers in another forum from a guy who tested the LX200 draw. 

Idle 4Mah with spikes up to 10Mah

AZ Max slew start/run 400Mah/50Mah

AL Max slew Start/run 300Mah/50Mah

Assuming this, a 4000 Mah battery should provide a few hours of run time assuming im not slewing constantly and even then if the scope hypothetically drew a whole amp constantly it should last 3 hours and we know it won't be drawing one amp steady.

and since the battery is a 3 cell max 12.6 volts i won't need a power regulator, i will be using one of my level indicators because you cannot drain a Lipo below 3.8-3.6 volts per cell or you toast it, any thoughts on this? has anyone done it already?

im sure i won't be the first!.

Archived