Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LiFePO4 Batteries - Any User Comments

BargeGazer

I am thinking of getting a Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery. Has anyone had experience of these with HEQ5 or similar mounts.

I want it because of its portability and it is not required for lengthy imaging sessions, just visual sessions. For anything more I use a deep-cycle lead acid battery but it is hardly portable!

Any comments on the cheaper Lithium polymer variety.

I am looking at the FLO options.

Thanks

David

Expensive in the extreme, but very light and portable. 40 ah 12 volt in a Pelicase around £800. Weight about 6 kilo. You can get smaller capacities, but still expensive. Bare batteries are a wee bit cheaper but you need to encase them properly for safety, so you do not save much by doing this. They are not safe if not properly treated, as in protected physically! 

There are the LiPo types as opposed to LiFePo4 types. These are smaller and cheaper, but are not as safe and can overheat if not treated correctly, then they can explode! Samsung are one phone maker who have experienced this problem. It is not always the user who causes the problem, it is poor manufacturing and design at times. 

So go for a recognised make and be safe.

Derek

I have a Tracer 7Ah LiFePo4 that I use to power my AP kit on my travels. It works reliably and provides all the power needed by an AstroTrac, DSLR and dew heater for an all-night session. The bonus being that it weighs only 1kg and is allowed in airline hand luggage - nice!

http://www.tracerpower.com/tracer-12v-7ah-lifepo4-battery.html

CS, Andy

I have the Celestron LiFePo4 7ah one for my Virtuoso mount. They are not expensive because if you factor in how many charge cycles you could get mine works out at 13pence for every charge it is given and I've used mine 7 times and it's still half charged from when bought last November. Weighs nothing and was used in a recent power cut to light a room up. 

Hi BargeGazer,

I use a 24 volt, 10Ah LiFePO4 battery for powering the shutter of my observatory. It has been in use for about a year and it works very well. The battery is an Ultramax make and was supplied by Battery Masters in the UK.

Have a look at this one, a 12 volt, 7Ah battery that should be fine for your intended use.

https://www.batterymasters.co.uk/lithium-phosphate-batteries/li7-12-12v-7ah-lithium-iron-phosphate-lifepo4-battery-charger-included-l-mm-w-mm-h-mm-151-65-98.html

Hope this helps,

Regards, Hugh

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Don't they have to have a certain certification to be able to go as hand luggage?

There has been much fuss about conveying Li batteries, what with laptops catching fire and the like, and I believe that Royal Mail does not unless the battery is in the item it is to power. I'm no authority, but checking on the web seems to indicate that up to 100Wh capacity is generally freely allowed on aircraft, but must be carried as hand luggage. You can buy fireproof battery bags and I think if it was me I'd get one for a larger capacity battery if I was transporting it.

Ian

I've got a bag but the jury is out if these bags actually work as the one that will work is a US product and very expensive to import (for an A4 sized bag)  and there are no sellers within the EU. The other so called fire proof bags are as good as well luck given they are copies of the good US one I mentioned that does work. I contacted the company who seem quiet happy with product being with a Swiss seller.,.. Switzerland is not in the EU from the point of view of buying stuff but they didn't seem that bothered.

Well, I have bought one from FLO, arrived the next day!

The only thing that surprised me was "recharge immediately after use". This seems to clash with the other statements target make about no need to charge when the built-in meter shows more than half "full".

It is a lovely little unit (12Ah which should be enough for me - I have a 75Ah deep discharge for less portable use) so should let me get further away and into darker skies.

Thanks for all the comments,

David

Archived