Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best phone/camera adaptor

Cyclops

It seems there are a few versions of this kind of device on my scope's company website (Orion Telescopes) but which is the best one? Normally I just use my phone against the EP for short exposure objects (moon etc) but would there be a problem due to the small camera lens diameter compared to that of the EP? Would I be better with a camera adaptor and using my little IXUS compact (astounding little camera!)

I was looking at this but I cant see how it works!

https://s7d5.scene7.com/s7viewers/ht....com/is/image/

1 hour ago, Cyclops said:

It seems there are a few versions of this kind of device on my scope's company website (Orion Telescopes) but which is the best one? Normally I just use my phone against the EP for short exposure objects (moon etc) but would there be a problem due to the small camera lens diameter compared to that of the EP? Would I be better with a camera adaptor and using my little IXUS compact (astounding little camera!)

I was looking at this but I cant see how it works!

https://s7d5.scene7.com/s7viewers/ht....com/is/image/

The link doesn't work.

I think that type only works on mobile phone. The circular part clamps around the eyepiece by twisting the outer part, this causes three cams on the inside to close around the eyepiece. 

For a compact camera you need something like this one (others are available). The adapter clamps around the eyepiece and the camera attaches to the bracket using the tripod mount on the base of the camera.

That's the same one I have @wookie1965 and it works well.  No good for cameras though as rightly pointed out by @Cornelius Varley

I personally have used my phone on many occasions recently with great success, so don't think the lens size is an issue. Once the mount is aligned correctly you can get some cracking images.

On my Galaxy S8+ in Pro mode I can take 10 second exposures which gives great results.

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

That one is rubbish I got one lasted 2 mins phone fell out cracked the screen.

I use this one now,   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Cell-Phone-Adapter-Holder-Mount-Microscope-Telescope-Spotting-Scope-UK-/222498106927?hash=item33cdebae2f

That looks good. And seeing as its a small scope on a standard tripod I'd probably be best just to use my phone. The camera works well on its own as it has a multi exposure night mode where it takes a rapid series of shots then combines them in camera. Its how I got this hand held shot of the so called Supermoon

20180131204558-01.jpeg

Yes they are all pretty similar just badged differently.  I bought the Seben one for the mobile device imaging challenge and it's great.  I've used it quite a bit just practicing and trying it out, and can't really fault it.  It looks like the cheaper ones are just the same.

2 hours ago, RayD said:

Yes they are all pretty similar just badged differently.  I bought the Seben one for the mobile device imaging challenge and it's great.  I've used it quite a bit just practicing and trying it out, and can't really fault it.  It looks like the cheaper ones are just the same.

Thanks, I might look into it. I just hope I dont have to remove my phone case. The back is glass so I had to get a gel back for it. Also the camera on this phone (Huawei P10 lite) is right in the top left corner which doesn't seem a problem looking at the pics on Amazon.

Archived