Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Processing power - Registax

I've got a new desktop and it is hands down a higher spec than the 8 year old existing PC. I ran exactly the same planetary data through PIPP on both machines and the new PC is about 4 times quicker. But when comparing aligning and stacking in Registax 6 of the same data, there is no difference, and if anything the old PC may be slightly quicker... 

Why is this?

James

If it is a multi core processor on the new machine, it may only be using one core for this action, and if that one core is slower than the whole processor (which it probably is) on the old machine, then it will be slower...just because a new PC has three or four times the power, doesn’t mean it’s all used all the time...it will also depend on the software, and as registax is an older programme, originally written for XP, that will also make a difference.... :)

Did a few more comparisons. The best was with DSS stacking over 300 very short unguided subs I'd taken 3 years ago and a load of darks; the new PC did it in 60 minutes, the old PC in 190 minutes. All processing was too quick in AS!3, only 20 seconds or so, but the new PC was 4x faster than the old one. So I'm content there is an improvement on this front.

James

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/03/2018 at 19:18, jambouk said:

I've got a new desktop and it is hands down a higher spec than the 8 year old existing PC. I ran exactly the same planetary data through PIPP on both machines and the new PC is about 4 times quicker. But when comparing aligning and stacking in Registax 6 of the same data, there is no difference, and if anything the old PC may be slightly quicker... 

Why is this?

James

Were you sorting a lot of frames in quality order using PIPP?

If your new machine has more memory (and a 64-bit OS) then PIPP will take advantage of this rather than writing frames to the hard drive during processing.  Also PIPP will naturally run much faster with an SSD that an old HDD as planetary naturally processing involves a lot of hard drive activity.

I believe that Registax is only a 32-bit program so will probably not be able to take advantage of any extra memory.  However, I would have expected to be a bit faster on the new machine.

Cheers,
Chris

Archived