Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

spider in the way

Yes Warthog and I am going to get another one soon. Could Stef tell me did his show the spider while looking at the moon? Yesterday I took it outside in daylight with e/p 20mm and the focus spot on no probs. I didnt touch anything then ,kept focus and e/p the same repeated the process at night on Jupiter ,there was spider taking up about half my image. Cheers folks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Warthog and I am going to get another one soon. Could Stef tell me did his show the spider while looking at the moon? Yesterday I took it outside in daylight with e/p 20mm and the focus spot on no probs. I didnt touch anything then ,kept focus and e/p the same repeated the process at night on Jupiter ,there was spider taking up about half my image. Cheers folks

:):D:lol::D:lol: :lol: :Envy: :Envy: :Envy::angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

i am stumped?

you said that you can see your eye looking back at you? is this with all e/p's or just the 20mm? seeing your eye looking back at you through the telescope should only happen when you look through the telescope without e/ps in.

seeing the spider and mirror through the e/p means out of focus, while out of focus the object that you are looking at should not be in focus. if they are when your scope is (Wait brain wave)

Ok Look through the telescope with no ep in and while it is pointing at a wall or something large and plain. then tell me what the view is like. is your eye in the middle of the small mirror, which is in the middle of the large mirror, which should have the image of the wall, surrounded by the entrance to the telescope?

they should all look like they are lying on top of each other like a stack of coins with the largest at the bottom and as if you were looking down on them from above? (concentric circles if you know what i mean)

i think that the telescopes secondary mirror might be off line and the reason that you can see the objects and the spider is that there is total internal reflection going on inside the scope. this is the only way i can think of that would produce images of two separate objects one distance one near.

To fix try adjusting the secondary mirror till mirrors look concentric like i described above, though i suggest that you post back the result first before a tempting this.

hope this hopes

ally

Ok Ally , Im struggling , circle in middle with my eye , 3 spikes , wall behind , where the circle is with my eye I can see mirror jutting out above the circle about a mm. I does look a bit wrong , it is not visable on lower circle .

When I first got the scope from new in Feb. I practiced with it in the daylight , then as soon as there was a moon started with looking at it , I am sure it wasnt happening then, but am now waiting to see if it happens with Luna obs. Thanks very much for your efforts.

Could it be that the collimation is so far out that it's made it almost impossible to get the focus correct hence the spider vanes showing up.

But then it works in the day. But that is looking at something close.

yes I think it needs collimating . Maybe I'll do what people suggest and get another scope and put it on one side for a while untill I feel brave or foolish enough to mess with it. Thanks for all the support.

yes I think it needs collimating . Maybe I'll do what people suggest and get another scope and put it on one side for a while untill I feel brave or foolish enough to mess with it. Thanks for all the support.

Of course you could get a refractor next time - they don't need collimating.

Thanks so much for all your advice. Last night the moon put in an appearance and I found I could focus on it without any spikes !! and then found keeping that focus no spider on Jupiter. I just didnt realise how precise the focus had to be.Oh well as you say its a learning curve.

that was a little silly was it not :undecided: ?

We have all been there though so just be glad that you fix it yourself. It could of caused some imbaressment if you got someone else to fix it and they told you that it was just not focused

In ur defence, if the collimation of the scope was good then the focus would have been clearer and sharper. however if you were seeing an out of focus object with the spider and legsin it, then the image was not sharp so you have a lot of really impressive sites to see.

i wish you all the best and i hope that you get more clear skies to try it out

ally

Archived