SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Too many options.

Hi all, it's been a while since I have posted.

It's been nearly 2 months since I've last been out with the scope, and that last time was a complete failure of a night. 

Tonight will be my first night out in 2ish months, and I still don't know what the heck I'm doing:p. But I have picked up some new equipment since last time.

• Canon T3i astromodified 
  • Orion Imaging LP filter
  • intervalometer for Canon T3i

I am just surrounded by imaging targets, but I don't know which one would be easiest. Some of the ones I have been thinking about are:

• Horse Head Nebula
  • Rosette Nebula
  • Pleadies
  • California nebula
  • flaming star nebula
  • Christmas tree cluster
  • jellyfish nebula
  • M81 & 82

Tell me what you guys think would be easiest with my equipment.

Thanks

It can be a good idea to go for an easy to find, large and bright target if things haven't been working out recently. I had the same issue last year and went for the Pleiades - turned out to be a good choice as I was able to get 8 min subs and was happy with the lovely colour and nebulosity in the result. My mount is a CG5 (EQ5) with the same size reflector as yours.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing whatever you choose!

Fully agree with @bobro. Plan your imaging beforehand, pick two or three easy targets (bright, large and easy to locate). Use software like Stellarium to see when targets will be high in the sky. A good set of imaging targets would be M42 (or anything nearby like the HH) then move on to M81/82. For my imaging, I have to plan because I can only see overhead, north and east all other areas are obstructed. Planning actually helps motivate me to get out of the warm house and do it for real!

Also, don't try to squeeze too much into one night, concentrate on one or two targets to really get the best results.

HTH Dan :happy7:

48 minutes ago, bobro said:

It can be a good idea to go for an easy to find, large and bright target if things haven't been working out recently. I had the same issue last year and went for the Pleiades - turned out to be a good choice as I was able to get 8 min subs and was happy with the lovely colour and nebulosity in the result. My mount is a CG5 (EQ5) with the same size reflector as yours.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing whatever you choose!

20 minutes ago, spaceman_spiff said:

Fully agree with @bobro. Plan your imaging beforehand, pick two or three easy targets (bright, large and easy to locate). Use software like Stellarium to see when targets will be high in the sky. A good set of imaging targets would be M42 (or anything nearby like the HH) then move on to M81/82. For my imaging, I have to plan because I can only see overhead, north and east all other areas are obstructed. Planning actually helps motivate me to get out of the warm house and do it for real!

Also, don't try to squeeze too much into one night, concentrate on one or two targets to really get the best results.

HTH Dan :happy7:

Thanks both of you. Will the light pollution filter cause any issues with the pleadies? I know they cause issues with galaxies but I'm not sure about reflection nebulae.

I would like to use my LP filter because I am limited to 90 second subs without it.

Hard not to go for the flame and horsehead nebs which will come out well with your new camera. Set the camera in 'portrait' orientation and get alnitak towards the top right of the frame (in portrait) - liek teh Plieades it's one target where you definitely DON'T need GOTO!

I finished processing my M45 picture and this was the result:

41 x 2m subs

10 darks

15 flats

15 bias

Orion Imaging LP filter

orange-yellow zone

Pleadiesstackfinalhopefully.thumb.jpg.f717ed8b463f961bca2dec67a75cb6d6.jpg

Overall I am very happy with the result, especially after a lot of previous M45 fails. It also has the longest integration time for a photo that I have done so far at 1h 22m.

I also used a new (for me) processing technique to remove the intense gradient in the original image.

feel free to give me any constructive criticism.

Archived