NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Images. Before & after stacking.

Redscouse

Hi all. :hello: 

I was hoping some of you may be able to shed a little light on stacking for me. (no pun intended) :)

The first picture is a single shot, 90 seconds at iso400. 
The second image is a stack of 73 (10 darks) yet it looks more washed out than the single shot.

Did I miss something in the stacking settings?

Thanks for looking.
Pete.

IMG_0003.png.08b4560d49446561e84dfa5486b4e0e3.png

Autosave.png.a5e6142eefb083ab1a5d064edeeff1c1.png

From my limited knowledge, the stacking allows you to tease more detail in the faint areas without causing too much colour noise , the detail is in there but needs to be pulled out in editing. Google astro image editing and you'll see tutorials. I think curves and levels are the main bits ...

Good luck.

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

The website budgetastro.net and Doug's guides there will get you going, nearly all of it can be done in GIMP if you have no editing software already. 

I'll check out that website thanks for the link. I do have both Gimp & Photoshop. I swap and change between them depending which OS I am using at the time. 

I've just read on another forum that when using DSS you're not supposed to use the autosave file to process later, rather I should 'save the file to disk without embedding' and then use this file in the editing software. 

Does this sound like sound advice to you?

1 hour ago, knobby said:

I think curves and levels are the main bits ...

Good luck.

Still trying to get my head around them. :)

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

The website budgetastro.net and Doug's guides there will get you going, nearly all of it can be done in GIMP if you have no editing software already. 

I'll check out that website thanks for the link. I do have both Gimp & Photoshop. I swap and change between them depending which OS I am using at the time. 

I've just read on another forum that when using DSS you're not supposed to use the autosave file to process later, rather I should 'save the file to disk without embedding' and then use this file in the editing software. 

Does this sound like sound advice to you?

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You have a lot more signal in the second image so the background is lighter before processing. The good news is that you have a lot more signal throughout the brightness range.

Thanks for the tip Olly. I'll fire up my editor when the football has finished and see what I can do with it.

5 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

You should ideally use the autosave fits file. Doug's videos will get you going and cover DSS as well.

I am reading the site now; Well, that and keeping one eye on the football! :)

Archived