Nice Gemini Doubles; Auriga NGC Open Cluster

cloudsweeper

8SE, clear sky, no wind!  Aligned on Capella and Betelgeuse, checked with Bellatrix - perfect!

Two nice, easy, fairly close visual doubles in Gemini:

15 Gem - 27.1" - easily seen at x56, almost matched, one slightly orange.

20 Gem - 20" - 2+1, visual double - easily seen at x56, matched, no colour detected.  

And then:

43 Gem (Mekbuda) - 3 companions, the brightest (mag 7.6) is at a wider separation of 101", very easily seen at x56, fainter than the primary.

Point of interest.  Since these systems are gravitationally bound, their observed separations will change.  The amount of change is typically a few seconds of arc per century.

GoTo is a delight for zipping easily from target to target, using SAO numbers in the case of stars (or names, where aappropriate).

Finally, before going in for a meal and a glass:

NGC 2281 - open cluster, Auriga - very pretty, several stars, not very tight, including a nice group in a tight diamond shape.  (Could be called the Diamond Cluster!)

Lovely!

Doug.

26 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Another successful short session, Doug. You’re doing a great job of grabbing every opportunity to get some observing in!

Can't get enough Neil.  The more you do, the more you want, and the more you learn!

And EP number 20 is expected tomorrow.  Can't wait!

Doug.

8 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

How exciting! What EP are you getting?

A third Hyperion - 8mm, to fill a gap.  I like the two I have so far (10mm, 36mm aspheric) - not fussy about a slight loss of clarity at the edges, and they're fine in the slow 8SE anyway.  And that should complete my set..........

And yes, I seem to be settling into a routine of short sessions.  Stops me getting chilled to the marrow, and prevents dewing issues!

Doug.

7 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Nice report there Doug, I do like doubles though last night it was only the type that comes from a bottle due to cloud.

Thanks Alan - I managed a bit of that as well after the session.  The advantages of winter!

Doug.

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

Thanks Alan - I managed a bit of that as well after the session.  The advantages of winter!

Doug.

I don't know, I am having some problems in the downstairs department which seem to have cleared to some degree with tablets. I have just been to the Doc and he was upbeat about things. His closing words were, Stay warm and keep out of the cold, avoid things like chilly and spices and try and cut out the alcohol, don't like this getting old lark. Still don't mean I have to take any notice though it was the general feeling that 4 hours outside in minus 5 was what caused the problem, time for the wooly knickers.

Alan

15 minutes ago, alan potts said:

I don't know, I am having some problems in the downstairs department which seem to have cleared to some degree with tablets. I have just been to the Doc and he was upbeat about things. His closing words were, Stay warm and keep out of the cold, avoid things like chilly and spices and try and cut out the alcohol, don't like this getting old lark. Still don't mean I have to take any notice though it was the general feeling that 4 hours outside in minus 5 was what caused the problem, time for the wooly knickers.

Alan

Two things in there we don't want to give up, Alan.  As for the getting old lark - well, shall we just say I know what you mean!

Hope the "problems" stay under control.

Doug.

Archived