Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Feb 1st. A second attempt at sketching the lunar surface

ShrewView

So this is my second lunar sketch this week. In fact its my second sketch full stop. I felt it went a little better than the first which I posted in the obs report section.

I think I learnt a little lesson last night which is to draw a little bigger, concentrating on a few key features and perhaps not include everything in the field of view. I think that allowed me to get a little more detail in. Sounds obvious now I think about it.

Anyway, this was what I felt I saw over an hour or two in the region near to Mare Crisium. in particular a couple of craters on or near the terminator; these being Berosus and Hahn I think. It was very noticeable how fast the shadows change even over the space of 10 or so minutes so you have to be quick. I added in an outline of the lunar limb and Mare Crisium just for scale really and because I'd enjoyed what I'd done so far and I didn't really want to stop, but with the clouds thickening it was time to call it a day.

Be grateful for any advice or comments from you sketchers as I'm really only just starting out and hope to be a little better by the time Mars gets a little bigger.

Dan

lunar 010218.jpg

Hi Dan,

You've managed a very nice sketch of a complex region. To be honest, the Moon terrifies me as an observer/ sketcher. I've found it difficult to know when to stop drawing, as the more I draw, the more I see. I tend to limit my subject, so rather than drawing an extended area as you've done, I concentrate on just one crater. Looking at the region you've drawn, I would have likely chosen just Berosus at a higher mag to gain a greater image scale, then tease out as much information as possible from the image. Often I'll limit the drawing to the outer crater wall or just beyond.

The more you draw the greater your observing and draughtsmanship skills will become. Keep it up, as I'm sure we'd all look forward to seeing many more of your observations presented this way.

Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Dan,

You've managed a very nice sketch of a complex region. To be honest, the Moon terrifies me as an observer/ sketcher. I've found it difficult to know when to stop drawing, as the more I draw, the more I see. I tend to limit my subject, so rather than drawing an extended area as you've done, I concentrate on just one crater. Looking at the region you've drawn, I would have likely chosen just Berosus at a higher mag to gain a greater image scale, then tease out as much information as possible from the image. Often I'll limit the drawing to the outer crater wall or just beyond.

The more you draw the greater your observing and draughtsmanship skills will become. Keep it up, as I'm sure we'd all look forward to seeing many more of your observations presented this way.

Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike. Much appreciated.

It is as you say a bit a bit terrifying in the amount of detail available on the moon, so yes I'll try to focus in a little more it think. 

Cheers.

Archived