Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last night, double stars

NGC 1502

Had a nice session last night observing double stars, well seen in spite of light pollution and an almost full moon.

Lots seen, a highlight was 12 Lyncis that’s mentioned in February Astronomy Now mag. It’s a cracking triple. Lots of ways of finding it, what worked for me was to take a line from bright Capella to much dimmer delta Auriga, continue along that line for a bit less than the distance between Capella and delta, looked in that area at low power, 38x in my 6” Dob, 12 Lyncis was easily seen as double, high power 130x, revealed the triple. Cranked up the mag for an even better look.

Another highlight - Propus, Eta Gemini, near to M35. It’s a not so easy close double, have split it before with my 10” Dob, but late last night when that bit of sky was at the Meridian, my trusty 6” Dob did the trick at high power,  hardly cutting edge, but satisfying none the less.

Cheers from Ed.

7 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

Propus is a lovely pair, isn't it? I love the bright orange of the primary and the tint of the secondary. Fairly easy with both my 180 Mak nd 127 Mak.

I must try 12 Lyn when my broken ankle is out of plaster.....

Chris

Hi Chris, although my Mak is 90mm ( OTA from a broken ETX ) I like the way that it gives pinpoint stars, I’ve heard the phrase ‘refractor like’ to which I’d agree.

Indeed, 12 Lyncis ( Struve 948 ) is definitely worth the hunt, hope you get rid if the plaster soon.....and loads more doubles nearby.

Ed.

Archived