Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Synscan WiFi and SGP

m.tweedy

Running Windows 10. Connects to App perfectly. Trying to connect to Sequence Generator Pro V3 results in the following.
Telescope SynScanMobile Telescope does not support equatorial slewing.
Sequence Generator Pro requires the equatorial coordinates system for automated slewing.
How can this be resolved please.

So long as your mount was recognised by Synscan App (which needs to be running to use Ascom.Synscanmobile) as EQ - on my AZEQ6 it asks me which I want as that mount can be EQ or AZ. I would have thought that really only applies to the SynScan App as using Ascom SGP will be just using the driver(Synscan Mobile Ascom ) as a "proxy" to send instructions to the mount. The format is different for each slew type and its one of the "properties" of Ascom driver std ,as far as I know, is to standardise messages. It could be a problem with the Ascom Driver(SynscanMobile)  not setting Ascom properties correctly or just SGP being wrong.

Have you used just CDC to connect to the mount via SynscanMobile Ascom driver- does this work ok in EQ mode for slewing. Although of course,in your case, its SGP that's asking the driver what it supports!

Unfortunately I dont have SGP else I could see what commands are being used. 

All I can suggest is use Ascom Profile Explorer to check what is supported but having a quick look myself ,using the Ascom.SynscanMobile driver, it does not show any properties in that area - but there again nor does EQMOD.

Maybe someone from Ascom development on SGL may be able to help.

Are you using the latest Ascom.SynscanMobile driver.

You might get an answer from Sky Watcher support it is new software after all - I noticed you have asked SGP on this subject.

Sorry couldn't be of more help - clear skies.

It certainly slews ok when connected to CdC using the synscanmobile driver and you can also connect to the mount using APT,  I have not used SGpro. 

However I have found using Astrotortilla a bit hit or miss as sometimes  it doesn't slew the mount to the solved position using the synscan driver  Guiding using PHD2 also seems to be very erratic and there is no fine control as you have with the EQMOD sliders

I have concluded that if you simply want a wireless connection to a local laptop from your mount then bluetooth is the best answer as it simply replaces the EQdirect cable connection and you can still use the EQMOD software which is excellent and provides a greater degree of granularity of control for guiding and polar alignment.   I feel the synscan app is a bit gimmicky and the combination of EQMOD for mount control supportd by PHD2, CdC  and Astrotortilla is a combination hard to beat.  

The wi fi synscan connection will allow you to extend the range of your mount connection  to possibly an indoors PC but you still need camera control which restricts you to USB connectivity so you cant easily replace the need for a local processor (without the pain of USB extension cables) to run the CCD control software.   

Oh for CCD or CMOS cameras with direct wifi connectivity and a mount wifi connection for EQMOD !

"mount wifi connection for EQMOD" - have used Wifi(not Bluetooth but TCP) EQMOD for past 2 yrs (on and off as wired still rules anything -unless silly money involved) - Although EQMOD uses Serial (i.e. COM) interface it is easy to do a UART(TTL) to Wifi mod using std market SOC(even RPI Zero Wireless) - EQMOD is un aware and work 100%.  E.G https://www.amazon.co.uk/USR-WIFI232-A2-Industrial-Wireless-Antenna-Function/dp/B01GPM8EMM - some even have a connector for an external Aerial (IMHO a must have). The above even come with software to create Virtual com devices and its very good.

However your comment "Oh for CCD or CMOS cameras with direct wifi connectivity and a mount wifi connection for EQMOD !" is totally 100% spot on - EQMOD/AScom need to update the serial interface or at least provide an option to add TCP or UDP (which is what SW Wifi adapter uses).

Thanks for the answers. Yes CdC connects and slews perfectly. I have now posted the question to both SGP and Skywatcher.

I do have the Bluetooth dongle but was experiencing drop outs that I cannot afford to have when imaging. I really like the Skywatcher ASCOM app with Windows. 

I was hoping to sit inside the caravan at Kielder to control my telescope but it looks like i may have to venture out if i want the telescope control to work properly.

I bought a relatively cheap bluetooth device from a company called Dew Control which works reliably so far when connected.   Reliability is everything with the mount connection so if you are getting drop outs its a shame.  I was getting problems with my EQMOD cable due to the USB connectors for some reason. 

Thanks for the info on the wi-fi Stash but until manufactures see the light about CCD/CMOS wi fi or ethernet connectivity I can t move forward easily with using a remote computer to replace the local laptop.   There are lots of discussions about using the Rasperry Pi as local intellgence and using UNIX based apps to replace a local laptop but seems a lot of work and use of unfamiliar software  when using ethernet cable or Wi-Fi connectivity  offers a powerful means for remote connectivity which most people want.  I cant understand why this isn't a priority development  by both the EQMOD project and by camera manufacturers.

I am away at the moment and have had a response from both Skywatcher and SGP that I need to resolve on my return. When I do as they suggest I will report back. I am sure I am not the only one that intends to go down this route.

6 hours ago, halli said:

I cant understand why this isn't a priority development  by both the EQMOD project and by camera manufacturers.

EQMOD is what it is - an 11 year old application developed under an obsolete Microsoft development environment and with only one developer left to support it. Whilst it remains as popular as ever (downloads of 1500/month for the past 8 years), the harsh fact is EQMOD, and probably ASCOM, does not represent a platform for the future, and is loosing its grip on the present! It is in no state to be developed any further than what it is already. If your personal preference is to use a connection method that isn't native to either the mount/EQMOD then I'm afraid the onus is on you to sort it out (as others have done).

I've put a lot into EQMOD over those 11 years and for no reward other than the satisfaction of helping folks with their astronomy. For many years my invovlement in EQMOD effectively killed off my own astronomy (I spent a year once with every clear night doing PEC testing). Now I'm more selfish and, whilst I feel duty bound to stick around and nurse EQMOD through to its inevitable obsolescence, its hard to justify taking on any new development given that in may ways it is already living on borrowed time.

Chris.

13 hours ago, chrisshillito said:

EQMOD is what it is - an 11 year old application developed under an obsolete Microsoft development environment and with only one developer left to support it. Whilst it remains as popular as ever (downloads of 1500/month for the past 8 years), the harsh fact is EQMOD, and probably ASCOM, does not represent a platform for the future, and is loosing its grip on the present! It is in no state to be developed any further than what it is already. If your personal preference is to use a connection method that isn't native to either the mount/EQMOD then I'm afraid the onus is on you to sort it out (as others have done).

I've put a lot into EQMOD over those 11 years and for no reward other than the satisfaction of helping folks with their astronomy. For many years my invovlement in EQMOD effectively killed off my own astronomy (I spent a year once with every clear night doing PEC testing). Now I'm more selfish and, whilst I feel duty bound to stick around and nurse EQMOD through to its inevitable obsolescence, its hard to justify taking on any new development given that in may ways it is already living on borrowed time.

Chris.

Chris ,

First you deserve a medal for what you and the "team" did with EQMOD - I find it hard to move away from because its that good. 

Second nobody is criticising your obvious hard work and dedication in as I say above its because its "that good" we (well I do) only wish to see it move with the  times in regards to the comms interface.

Third - take a rest you(and the team) have earned it with such dedicaion.

I hope you have many clear skies to make up for the "lost skies" due to EQMOD.

:thumbsup:

Hi Chris

Totally agree with Stash.    

EQMOD was a pioneering development and it is very difficult to move away from because its so good.  The reason that it is the leader is because it has been thought through in detail from the functional perspective ie what do you require to do the job.  A lot of knowledge skill and experience is required to do this.  Also it has considered the comments of other experienced users in the development process.  I 'm sure  myself and many others wouldn't have got into this imaging game without EQMOD/ASCOM so we owe you personally quite a lot !

I didn't realize how the EQMOD software was funded and how 'big' the team was.  A development in connection technology is the icing on the cake but the important thing is the functionality and features of the software itself.    That is why I cant make the move away to the Skywacther App even with the benefits of WI-Fi .  If it had simply provided a direct replacement for the Bluetooth connectivity  for EQMOD then it might have been possible.   

Thank you again and I take my hat of to you Sir ! Please carry on your invaluable support of EQMOD  as long as you can

Regards

Ian

EQMOD and ASCOM is so embedded in all aspects of Astronomy command and control that i find it impossible to see a day when it is not at its heart. Virtually all software I have come across uses it to a greater or lesser degree. Without you chrisshillito we would not have the intergration we now have. Take a bow you deserve it. 

When i saw the new Skywatcher app had ASCOM/EQMOD control i thought it would be everything i wanted. If it does not then i will move back to the tried and tested EQMOD control that i know works.

1 hour ago, m.tweedy said:

Following a suggestion by the developers of SGP i connected via POTH and it now appears to be working. Hooray. Now i need a clear night to try it properly

Great glad you have a working option - does that mean the POTH connects to Synscan Mobile App in POTH set up and SGP connects to POTH as well ?

24 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Great glad you have a working option - does that mean the POTH connects to Synscan Mobile App in POTH set up and SGP connects to POTH as well ?

Yes exactly. I need to connect wifi scope by SGP (i think as i do that automatically anyway). That now means that Platesolving is now an option in SGP. whoopy do. The sstart sequence i am using that works for me is.

switch on scope (NEQ6 Pro), camera, Filter wheel and Lodestar X2 have already been switched on when i switched on the power to the observatory. Plug USB3 cable into same socket as i always do in laptop (ensures comm port does not change. Shortly to be replaced by a single board computer. Switch on laptop which automatically connects to the Synscan Wifi. do a 2 star alignment via the app on the laptop. fire up CdC and connect telescope via ASCOM chooser and choose the skywatcher wifi scope option, Fire up PHD which connects the Lodestar. Fire up WiFi telescope then SGP when i connect the camera (Atik 460), EFW and scope in SGP i use POTH scope and it then all works.To test it i used the park option in SGP and it did. RESULT. I have listed my steps so if i forget i can refer back to here ;-)

Next adventure is to begin shortly when i attempt to connect my none USB Lakeside focuser to SGP. I have tried on a few occasions and failed miserably when i was using the trial version of SGP. My errors not SGP i assume.

As Focus Max V4 is a paid download i am intending to use this site to download an earlier free version

http://www.astronomylog.co.uk/focusmax-downloads/

Response from OVL today as I posted them the log files.

“Thank you for providing the log file.

The Sequence Generator application might need a Slew command that is not supported in the current SynScan Pro application and its ASCOM driver. We will develop an updated version to see whether it can solve the problem”.

they seem very responsive and willing to listen. That fills me with hope.

Archived