Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyTee 2 tweaks

osbourne one-nil

Does anybody know how I can solve this problem? The altitude movement in the arm with the saddeplate on top has a good deal of play in it - take a look at this video (it's more entertaining than Eastenders). 

20180119_200557.mp4

Can anyone help? I've looked online and removed all the obviously removable bits and reassembled, but no joy. 

Thanks

Nothing it too obvious where I'm concerned, but alas no - I think it's meant to but tightening it does nothing. I can see through the whole onto the shaft, but nothing seems to actually touch it. 

Actually, scrap that. Tightening it simply stops the that bit of the mount rotating independently of the rest of the arm. 

I've just had a look at my Skytee II and that play simply isnt there on my mount. I realise that this is not going to help much but I wonder if something is loose within that axis of your mount :icon_scratch:

18 hours ago, osbourne one-nil said:

Does anybody know how I can solve this problem? The altitude movement in the arm with the saddeplate on top has a good deal of play in it - take a look at this video (it's more entertaining than Eastenders). 

20180119_200557.mp4

Can anyone help? I've looked online and removed all the obviously removable bits and reassembled, but no joy. 

Thanks

Hi there unfortunately I couldn't open your video so couldn't see exactly what your problem is.

On my Skytee 2 I had excessive backlash in that part of the mount, I unscrewed the end cap and slid off the fitting where you attach counterbalance weights to.

On my mount there was three grubscrews loose on the cross shaft, I tweaked them up with an Allen key and it's all good now

I think I've tried that already, but I'll take another look. It makes no odds if I've only got one scope attached, but seems a bit of a shame as it's meant to be able to carry two. 

Just to clarify, the bit of the mount that has this free play is shown in the attached photo, but I think you know this already!

5a6389aeef257_20180119_200557(1).thumb.jpg.0eee44b3eaa314526e87e2cc28edcec7.jpg

16 hours ago, osbourne one-nil said:

I think I've tried that already, but I'll take another look. It makes no odds if I've only got one scope attached, but seems a bit of a shame as it's meant to be able to carry two. 

Just to clarify, the bit of the mount that has this free play is shown in the attached photo, but I think you know this already!

5a6389aeef257_20180119_200557(1).thumb.jpg.0eee44b3eaa314526e87e2cc28edcec7.jpg

Yep same place as the pink arrow.

I unscrewed and removed the end cap (where your finger is)  first loosening the three grubscrews this will allow you to slide the counterbalance weight fitting off.

This reveals the black cross shaft, mine was covered in grease but you should see three grubscrews around this shaft, mine were all loose. After I tweaked them up it removed the free play.

There is some good gen on stripping this mount down on a recent thread.

Also make sure you have the right sized Allen key, good luck!

1 hour ago, jock1958 said:

Yep same place as the pink arrow.

I unscrewed and removed the end cap (where your finger is)  first loosening the three grubscrews this will allow you to slide the counterbalance weight fitting off.

This reveals the black cross shaft, mine was covered in grease but you should see three grubscrews around this shaft, mine were all loose. After I tweaked them up it removed the free play.

There is some good gen on stripping this mount down on a recent thread.

Also make sure you have the right sized Allen key, good luck!

I took the end cap off as shown, you can see the cross shaft and one of the grub screws. 

Check tighten all three of these grubscrews and see if it makes any difference.

08D1EDA5-C550-4A74-98B0-B8845FDDF4AC.jpeg

8E5090B8-B66B-4E4C-B308-A7BE15AC7B57.jpeg

7 hours ago, Alan White said:

Sorry to read this Piers as I recommended this mount type to you.
I was lucky my one came with no play of any kind, smooth as a smooth thing.
It really should be with excess play and smooth, return it if its new in my view.

Don't worry, I've called the lawyers off for now! I must admit, for a while I was pondering getting a DM4 from the States as you get what you pay for and I know Skywatcher stuff can have issues, but then the price and the pretty safe knowledge that if I did get a duff one, it would simply be replaced made me see sense. 

Anyway, with Jock's photo and advice, I think I'll have this sorted soon...it's got to be that. There's no other reason for it to be wobbling like it is. I'd not come across that one so I'll go and have a fiddle!

6 hours ago, jock1958 said:

I took the end cap off as shown, you can see the cross shaft and one of the grub screws. 

Check tighten all three of these grubscrews and see if it makes any difference.

It made all the difference - thank you - fantastic!

I think I missed this before because the "high viscosity lubricating agent" prevented me from thinking I could slide that bit off to reveal anything beneath. 

Perfect now! I owe you a pint. 

Archived