Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to mount Canon 500L onto HEQ5?

Hi there - looking at having a go with my 500mm Canon lens mounted on a HEQ5. Have been looking around to see the best way of mounting the lens and camera to the mount but struggling to find, other than people's DIY setups (Which are cool but I am not the best DIY person!). I would want to mount a guide scope also 60mm so presume a Side by Side bar would be best or maybe rings for the Canon lens?

Are there any mounts that would allow the Canon lens to mount to the HEQ5 (Sie by Side)?

any help/info would be much appreciated.

Tom.

If you are wanting to mount a camera into an existing setup (assuming that your original scope has tube rings), you might find that you already have the right thread in place. 

Skywatcher rings usually come with a photographic tripod thread on one of the rings. Please see picture below.

5a61cc94772fd_scope(1).thumb.jpg.ef9ddac7732c0751af5fa954ded31507.jpg

Cheersz
Ant

6 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I would simply attach a dovetail bar to the tripod mount of the lens (I do that with my 200 mm F/2.8, and 100-400mm). Side-by-side mounting can also be done with a side-by-side mounting dovetail bar, as seen here in my trial set-up for the eclipe.

IMG_20170727_152434.thumb.jpg.b42bcf7cc0753413468db30b067f94ab.jpg

Just what I was looking for. Get a bit confused with the connectors. Presume you have the normal bracket that you use on the lens (that would connect to a normal tripod). Would something like this suffice? ADM Bar Just worried it would not be sturdy enough for a 500L lens and camera?

11 minutes ago, Ant said:

If you are wanting to mount a camera into an existing setup (assuming that your original scope has tube rings), you might find that you already have the right thread in place. 

Have not got scope yet but will be soon. Cheers for info.

Hi Tom

I have a Canon 300mm 2.8 which I've used for astro in side-by-side configuration on my SkywatcherAZ-EQ6 GT and scope. That mount comes with a second-scope attachment to screw into the end of the counterweight bar if needed, I don't know if the HEQ5 does as well. As for actually fixing the lens onto the vixen-style scope clamp, I got a short dovetail bar (from Geoptik), attached it to the lens-foot using a a standard 1/4"-20 camera tripod-plate screw, and fixed the dovetail onto the mount per a normal scope. see pic here:

MakandCamera_s.jpg

I hope this is helpful, in my blog this pic links to a high-res version of the same image http://www.slidingseat.net/stars/stars.html#firstlight

Cheers, Magnus

4 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Hi Tom

I have a Canon 300mm 2.8 which I've used for astro in side-by-side configuration on my SkywatcherAZ-EQ6 GT and scope. That mount comes with a second-scope attachment to screw into the end of the counterweight bar if needed, I don't know if the HEQ5 does as well. As for actually fixing the lens onto the vixen-style scope clamp, I got a short dovetail bar (from Geoptik), attached it to the lens-foot using a a standard 1/4"-20 camera tripod-plate screw, and fixed the dovetail onto the mount per a normal scope. see pic here:

MakandCamera_s.jpg

I hope this is helpful, in my blog this pic links to a high-res version of the same image http://www.slidingseat.net/stars/stars.html#firstlight

Cheers, Magnus

Thanks Magnus - very helpful indeed! :)

I'm concerned about mounting that big lens solely on it's foot. It might be a bit too flexible.

I'll mention @StuartJPP here, hope he sees and doesn't mind. He has one Canon 500 F4 L lens and very nice pictures taken with it. I suppose he can give you some good advice about the mounting.

20 minutes ago, moise212 said:

I'm concerned about mounting that big lens solely on it's foot. It might be a bit too flexible.

I'll mention @StuartJPP here, hope he sees and doesn't mind. He has one Canon 500 F4 L lens and very nice pictures taken with it. I suppose he can give you some good advice about the mounting.

Thank you - I am too. The Side by Side mount I was looking at is not that substantial, maybe a larger foot for the base of the lens?

The lens foot itself is the wrong shape I'm pretty sure to fit securely into a dovetail clamp, and it's curved, and you'd damage the paint. A heavier-duty version I considered for my 300 was using a 3/8" tripod-plate screw to attach the dovetail bar to the foot rather than the 1/4", or even both! ... the 300 has holes for both in its foot. In the event the 1/4" one was fine for my purpose (tracking Andromeda for an hour or so)

Think I am going to look at this and find a larger tripod mount plate for the lens so stays more secure...ADM D Bar

This is under 4Kg with the 500L being just under 4Kg. Add the camera and guide scope and pushing 9-10Kg. Will the HEQ5 cope with this for imaging? 

Tom.

I would suggest that the lens & camera are supported by at least 2 supports, without that there is a risk the lens will sag during your exposures or it will be vulnerable to additional vibration.  It doesn't take much to turn round stars into egg shaped ones!

graeme

Archived