NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Yet another power box thread

Dave_D

Has anyone ever modded one of these 'rolling workshop' type boxes for powering all and sundry?

IMG_20180114_193100_zpss3xgo5vm.jpg

IMG_20180114_193158_zpsg40mgtzn.jpg

finally got my finger out and got a 110ah AGM leisure battery so now i can get on with sorting out power distribution and whatnot.

just out of interest, what connector types are people using?

Although I have never built my own power supply for my stuff, I would advise to be careful in placing a battery in a box... They give off Hydrogen gas while re-charging and I would not want this in a sealed housing...

Ventilation is the key; the good news is Hydrogen will dissipate readily through air vents. I assume there will be no other electronics in the box, as everything will be 12v?

My son did build up a distribution box for heaters, etc. though, as well as something for his portable rig. Connectors, he used red and black banana plugs with good quality wires with no problems..

Good luck.

Gordon.

I made a wood box to hold the leisure battery, with a lid which I leave open when recharging. I used 3 pin XLR Audio sockets and connectors because they lock in place and can't come out accidentally. Much better than the ancient cigar lighter plugs.

Eric.

24 minutes ago, ejp1684 said:

Much better than the ancient cigar lighter plugs.

Eric.

true that.... i've kept one in for emergencies but the top section is going to carry all the decent connectors and fuses.

I also used the 3 pin XLR connectors. I also made a ply panel to fit inside the box to mount everything on -  so I could still use the lid as a waterproof cover.

I used a separate smart charger that plugs into the panel - having said that, it stays connected and is on charge all the time.

cheers

gaj

Archived