NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dslr Modding

john2y

Hey guys,

I was thinking about modding my Canon 100D so I could do some H-Alpha imaging. I've read a lot on the topic but some things still seems unclear to me. If I understand it correctly in order to let the H-Alpha wavelength pass to the sensor I need to remove the IR/UV blocking filter (so far so good). I still want to do some daylight photos but that should solve Astronomik OWB filter right? The other thing is that I saw many people replacing the original filter with Baader one but I really don't understand why. Could you please explain it to me? 

Thank you

Jan

On 1/14/2018 at 10:28, PeterCPC said:

I think that it's done to enable autofocus to work - have a look here

Peter

Yes but is only required if you want to reach infinity focus on a camera lenses. On a scope it won't matter. One other thing is that the back focus for 55mm back focus correctors my need to be tweaked dependent on f-ratio. 

9 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

Remove the IR filter and just use your 100D for astro. Buy another (newer) camera for daylight work!

If you're shooting with an all mirror scope (eg Newtonian) you won't need to install an IR/UV blocker filter either.

couldn't agree more !

I bought a 700D and modded it, removing the IR and colour limiting filters and use it purely for astro

the 700D is a good choice specially because of it's swivel LCD panel ... no more kinking the head and neck into painful positions !!

12 hours ago, Davenn said:

couldn't agree more !

I bought a 700D and modded it, removing the IR and colour limiting filters and use it purely for astro

the 700D is a good choice specially because of it's swivel LCD panel ... no more kinking the head and neck into painful positions !!

I sometimes wish my astro cameras had tilt screens.......

11 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

I sometimes wish my astro cameras had tilt screens.......

uh huh .... I started with the Canon 5D III and the sore necks from the crazy angle the cam and scope were pointing were not fun

that lasted a couple of winter seasons till I could afford another camera and went for the Canon 700D, now imaging is a pleasure :) 

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Archived