Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photoshop Colour Processing Help

Last week I took 80 x 60 second subs of M33.  I've stacked and stretched the image to bring out some detail, but as all my images seem to do, they come out very orangey in colour.  Is this because of the relatively low sub lengths?

get.jpg?insecure

I am trying to put in some more colour with photoshop, but I am very much an amateur in astrophoto processing at the moment.  Does anyone know some good tutorials, or can share their techniques in bringing colour into an image?

Had a look at it PShop and its dominated by red, info reading twice as much as blue and green, black point is close to getting clipped and stars have haloes from over stretching.

Do you have a lot of light pollution is it a modded DSLR ?

Dave

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

What camera are you using ?

Dave

My camera is a modded Canon 700d paired with a SW 80ED DS-PRO.

3 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Did you align the rgb peaks in the histogram?

I have obviously forgot this step! Oops.

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Had a look at it PShop and its dominated by red, info reading twice as much as blue and green, black point is close to getting clipped and stars have haloes from over stretching.

Do you have a lot of light pollution is it a modded DSLR ?

Dave

I think I am pretty bad for light pollution.  So if I've  had to overstretch to get the desired level of detail, does this mean my only solution is to get data?

1 minute ago, scitmon said:

My camera is a modded Canon 700d paired with a SW 80ED DS-PRO.

I have obviously forgot this step! Oops.

I think I am pretty bad for light pollution.  So if I've  had to overstretch to get the desired level of detail, does this mean my only solution is to get data?

I always try to align the histogram peaks as early as possible during my processing. That way I don't end up stretching one channel more than the rest.

More data is always a positive. 

Modded cameras collect more red anyway, you could try a light pollution filter if it's orange street lights, you can't have too much data, I've got targets that I try to image every year weather permitting to keep adding more data, luckily not much changes up there :grin:

Dave

I did almost get a LP filter, but my problem is that locally most are LED lamps, but the are also some orange ones around as well.  Bit of a mixed bag so I'm not sure how effective it would be.  I wonder whether my money is better put towards a narrow band imaging setup, need to save for a while for that though!

Is that an AZEQ6 in your pic ? if so you should be able to easily get longer exposures, then invest in guiding before spending loadsa money on a narrow band set up.

Then you can do dithering which will help no end with the motley background on DSLR images,

Try to resist the temptation to dodge around the sky taking snapshots of all and sundry, best concentrate on one target as long as it's available.

There are some superb images around taken with DSLRs on an ED80s.

Dave

Yes it is.  It was my Christmas present to myself, I am still refining my polar alignment skills and getting to grips with EQMOD.  That night was partially cloudy as well so 60 seconds seemed to be reliable.  I was doing non-guided dithering with APT too.

I do have the FLO guide scope bundle on order, hopefully it will arrive next week.  PHD will be yet another skill to learn!

Archived