Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I had one and its a lovely camera, mine was fine with ISO 1600 for astro and the live view was very good for focusing, the only tip I have for astro use is to switch the auto sensor clean off if you are going to take subs and flats on differing days otherwise any dust bunnies will shift/disappear.

Alan

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I have the Canon 600D and a modded 700D so they straddle your 650D. The 650D does have an improved processor over the 600D but for astronomy purposes that won't really impress you much. I'd say one very useful feature of the 650D is the articulated LCD screen as cameras can get placed at peculiar angles when composing shots. I've found manual focusing with a camera lens with the Live View is easy if you take you time using a bright star. If you are attaching the camera to a telescope a Bhatinov Mask will work very well. I'd advise removing the rubber around the optical viewfinder and taping it over to prevent any stray light entering the camera. Also turn off the Live View once you are focused to prevent heat being detected by the sensor as signal. I use a mains powered supply to operate the camera as this gives indefinite power, fiddling with batteries on a cold night is not a pleasure.

Hope these little tips help.

Enjoy your camera!

Cheers,
Steve

I am an  absolute plumb. Its the 750D not the 650D. Used it and the flexibility of the screen is amazing, shots of the moom arw nice and easy lol tried to get Jupiter and mars in a shot but think I need a more powerfulscope or to use some filters. 

Archived