Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

FocusMax/Maxim DL

Jkulin

I would like to improve my focusing during the entire imaging session, I've used the focusing software in APT and apart from the magnifier it does not appear that successful.

I have looked at Maxim DL and at the moment feel that $599 is hard to justify.

I purchased a Lakeside focuser however they state that you can use FocusMax, but having downloaded that it appears that it only works in hand with Maxim DL

Can anyone advise?

Many Thanks.

Thanks Daz, the link provided by Lakeside  on their page http://www.lakeside-astro.com/downloads.html takes you to :- http://www.ccdware.com/products/focusmax/  and that download seems to indicate that you need Maxim DL, indeed when I requested my trial code it then installed and said I needed Maxim DL for the demo files etc.

Thanks @artem I am seriously considering switching to this, but held back because people claimed there were loads of bugs.

My set up is out and setup for tonight, I might whilst waiting to download and see what it is like.

Hi JKULIN, " held back because people claimed there were loads of bugs. " in fact there is no 100% working software, all have somehow BUGS !! and I am using SGP, and can't confirm that there are any BUGS " well, I am using STARIZONA FOCUSER:icon_albino: !

And forcusing works great..  SGP is a great software..

By the way, when you connect to your focuser, do you use the ascom or the drivers of your focuser ? right ? are they the most recent available ? :happy5:

Cheers

Martin

@ JKULIN, and it is true, you need for FOCUSMAX either, MAXIM DL, THESKYX, CCDSOFT or NEBULOSITY so one of the mentioned softwares "talks" to FOCUSMAX..

Hi Dave,

Thanks, is the Artemis software part of the utilities or a separate download?

There is a focuser package is APT but as I mentioned the autofocus is a bit hit or miss and I don't believe you can tell it to refocus after each image, what I am looking for is an automated refocus of at least after every filter change or preferably every 30 mins, am I expecting too much without paying $599?

Hi John, unfortunately I think you need another program that supports autofocussing, I use Maxim but only because I've had it for donkies years and just kept updating it, if you're set on automating then you'd be best to try SGP I'm not sure but the free Lite version may do what you want, presumably the Lakeside ASCOM driver will work with SGP.

Dave

Thanks Dave, yep am fast coming to that conclusion, I'll get everything set up and working with SGP and then at least I can integrate that into it without a massive learning curve.

I've only just got the hang of APT, but there a few things that really frustrate me with it.

12 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Thanks Dave, yep am fast coming to that conclusion, I'll get everything set up and working with SGP and then at least I can integrate that into it without a massive learning curve.

I've only just got the hang of APT, but there a few things that really frustrate me with it.

I use APT with my DSLR and it works very well but for more advanced imaging I think you need something more capable.

Dave

SGPro is easy to use and set up for auto-focusing, but the Lite version does not allow in-sequence focusing - but it's $99 as opposed to $599!

The trial is fully functional and will allow you test it out before you commit

3 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Thanks Daz. I have downloaded SGP and will have a go with the set up, I didn't get to bed until 05:33 this morning so am a little frail after imaging all night. :-)

:D

• 5 weeks later...

Right as an update, I'm now running SGP3 and yes it is a lot more advanced than APT, whereas APT was quite simplified, SGP has a lot more depth and options.

The focusing works OK, takes a little while, but it does what it says on the box and yes I have the full version.

Is there going to be any benefit to paying the $179 for the full version of FocusMax?

I am still coming to terms with SGP, but wondered if there is a live view option so that I can if I wish manually focus such as if I am using a Bahtinov mask (Maybe I need to ask this in another section)?

Thanks Martin, I figured paying out $179 for Focus Max and the $599 for Maxim DL is taking the Michael.

I do have a licensed copy of Nebulosity but having switched over to SGP for my imaging it makes things a little pointless paying for that Maxim DL.

I have obtained a copy of the free version of Focus Max 3.8 and may try that with Nebulosity and see how it fairs.

Archived