NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observatory Security CCTV

kirkster501

Fitted four CCTV cameras around the house. I have an 8 channel recorder but dedicated one of these to look down at the observatory and the side of the house.  Going to get three more and also one for installing inside the obsy as well.  They consume next to no power so this is a good investment I think.

I have also acquired beefier door security and will implement that over the next few days.

observatory.JPG

Hi Steve

If you are going to beef up security may i suggest concentrating on the door, as it is the weekest link if could you can gett a dead bolt fitted in the door or eaiser putting a decent padlock top and bottom so they cannot get a lever in and crow bar the door open and also to slow them down as you will not stop a determind thief. to  give you an example the Hanst astronomy club who have an observeatory in a secluded setting have been broken into a coulpe of times. All they did was put a bar through the wall either side top middle and bottom with bars across the door inside and out this may be the extreem but unfortunatley this is what required nowadays.

Oh by the way nice obs build

13 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Is it a wireless set-up Steve?

No it is wired with Power Over Ethernet.  I don't trust wireless CCTV for this application, it can be jammed very easily at the 2.4Ghz frequency it runs at by simple and cheap jammers you can get off of ebay.

Thats the hardest bit running the cables.  The whole system cost £400 include four cameras, the NVR and all cables and the quality is superb in terms of quality of hardware and software and the recorded output.  I don't want to discuss which version it is on the open forum but will PM you if interested.

Hi Fisherman, Yes, I am going to beef the door up very considerably.  I have bought the parts already - cost me nigh on £200! 

4 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

No it is wired with Power Over Ethernet.  I don't trust wireless CCTV for this application, it can be jammed very easily at the 2.4Ghz frequency it runs at by simple and cheap jammers you can get off of ebay.

Thats the hardest bit running the cables.  The whole system cost £400 include four cameras, the NVR and all cables and the quality is superb in terms of quality of hardware and software and the recorded output.  I don't want to discuss which version it is on the open forum but will PM you if interested.

Hi Fisherman, Yes, I am going to beef the door up very considerably.  I have bought the parts already - cost me nigh on £200! 

Hi Steve 

yes i am with you there how much things cost.  will not go into detail just in case but double doors on the outside just look like shed doors but hide a few security features inside.

HI Fisherman, yes they are double doors on the HO-UK.  PM me what you mean about security features inside.

It has crossed my mind to rebuild the door in solid wood and mount the hinges so they are internal to the door on some sort of piano hinge.  I am also going to install two bars across the front, top and bottom to protect against crow bar attacks.  I have also alarmed the observatory as well. 

1 hour ago, kirkster501 said:

Yes Steve please PM the details

• 4 weeks later...

I placed my camera right at head height as i was told that looking down on someone is no help as you cant see their face. Mine is set so that you get a full mug shot at 3 foot when they open the side gate to enter the garden. If you cant make their face out all you have is a video of someone robbing your obsy.

Archived