Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Double Star of the Month (AN) STF 1126 (Jan)

Quite a challenge this one for smaller scopes, but as the sky had cleared this evening I thought it worth a try with my 180 Mak. It is in Canis Minor, and very close to Procyon.

The parameters given (AN) are: Mags 6.6 and 7.0, sep 0.9 arcsec, PA 174 degrees. The values in CDSA are slightly different.

At x80, the pair have a distinct blueish cast, and appear as an oval. At x270, I could catch them in moments of very good/excellent seeing as a nearly matched double, very close together but with a dark space between. The colours appear white to me - odd that the pair is blueish at lower mags.

My drawing skills are slightly below those of a 3 year old, so I've attached a simulation in Aberrator for the pair - this is very close to what I see.

Chris

simstf1126x1000180mak.jpg

8 hours ago, John said:

Thanks Chris. A suitable challenge for my 130mm frac I think, next time out :smiley:

Described as "very tight pair" with a 125mm frac in Sissy Haas' book, so should be fun! It was the Webb Society "Double Star of the Month" in Feb 2014.

Chris

Archived