Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lin_guide/RPi/StarsPi

Thalestris24

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... looks like StarsPi hasn't been further developed recently (shame) but exists on the Play Store. On the other hand maybe there's an equally good way to talk to a RPi with or without Android (not a laptop!)?

I'm feeling a bit out of touch with what might be out there - please enlighten me if you can!

Thanks

Louise

There are several ways to access your RPi from an Android powered device. Even Remote Desktop via xrdp. I bought a RPi3 recently, but I have one month now with a single clear night. I had to focus on the other imaging mount that night.

Anyway, food for thought. If I have time, I can try configuring my pi this evening.

I use an RPi for my astro stuff and use INDI on it plus KStars/Ekos on the indoor computer to control everything and save the image data.  Works well.  Rather fiddly to set up but it's a "monkey see, monkey do" sort of thing - copy and paste commands from website to Terminal (Command Line).  I have a Tutorial in the blogs here,

28 minutes ago, Gina said:

I use an RPi for my astro stuff and use INDI on it plus KStars/Ekos on the indoor computer to control everything and save the image data.  Works well.  Rather fiddly to set up but it's a "monkey see, monkey do" sort of thing - copy and paste commands from website to Terminal (Command Line).  I have a Tutorial in the blogs here,

I know you're a Pi girl, Gina :). Cheers, I'll have a squiz at your tutorial when I get a min. I think I want something that is simple, compact and lightweight (in terms of computing as well as mount!). Essentially just an 'embedded' guide prog will do since I have a hand controller for the mount, and an intervalometer for the dslr (or possibly dslr controller). The StarsPi Android App looks like it will do what I want (wi-fi interface to Lin_guider) but I'll obviously have to try it out and see. I want to be able to carry the kit down the stairs and outside, do a quick setup, locate a target and go! I'm probably being a bit optimistic but it's my aim, anyway.

Thanks

Louise

33 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

The Pi3 can\should be able to control your camera as well, as long as it has a USB port, and the Pi3 has PHD2 support.

It couldn't be more compact\lighter as it will slip into your pocket.

Hi Julian

Yeah, I'm aware! I just want to keep things very simple and hopefully use the Pi as an embedded system. I'm probably happy to just use an intervalometer or dslr controller for the imaging camera. I'm only going to be doing widefield with a 200mm lens but being able to guide the eq3 pro will be helpful.

Louise

1 minute ago, Gina said:

I should know what an "embedded system" is but I've forgotten :(

Basically one that functions in more or less standalone mode i.e. with little user interraction. In the case of guiding there has to be some user input like selecting a guide star and setting guide exposures. The StarsPi app should enable me to do that. Until I set it all up and try it I won't really know what it will be like.

Louise

2 minutes ago, Gina said:

Once set up my imaging runs all night without user intervention - or rather it used to, I'm not doing any ATM.  When or even if I do any more remains to be seen.

I expect you have a keyboard and screen connected though? Why no imaging? :( 

Louise

33 minutes ago, Gina said:

When or even if I do any more remains to be seen.

A sad loss...

& Louise, I have an EQ3 like yours, and there isn't much room to bolt on the needed bits for imaging\guiding etc. that really will be needed with the mount. And using the Pi3 with KStars etc. you can connect the mount driver box directly to the Pi3 & then use your phone\tablet to control & position the mount using WiFi....

5 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

& Louise, I have an EQ3 like yours, and there isn't much room to bolt on the needed bits for imaging\guiding etc. that really will be needed with the mount. And using the Pi3 with KStars etc. you can connect the mount driver box directly to the Pi3 & then use your phone\tablet to control & position the mount using WiFi....

Hi Julian

Not sure what you mean by "there isn't much room to bolt on the needed bits for imaging\guiding etc"? It's just a camera and lens plus I'll have to attach a small guidescope somehow. But it's not a lot in total? I plan to use the Synscan hand controller, plus the Pi just for guiding. Maybe later on I might expand things. But if I was going to have more computer control then I might as well just use my i7 laptop which is already set up for it...

Louise

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

A sad loss...

Well, I haven't really decided yet but I may need to convert some astro gear into funds for various repairs which unfortunately are more important than astronomy and I have a lot of money tied up in equipment which gets very little use.

20 minutes ago, Gina said:

Well, I haven't really decided yet but I may need to convert some astro gear into funds for various repairs which unfortunately are more important than astronomy and I have a lot of money tied up in equipment which gets very little use.

I know the feeling :( 

32 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Hi Louise,

but aren't you just replacing the laptop with the Pi3 ?, smaller total package but the same functionality...

Well it seems like everyone sees it that way but I don't. I mean, I already have the laptop and everything is set up and ready to go (I use it on the heq5). I'm only talking about carrying stuff downstairs and out the door so, in principle, the laptop would be simple and easy. I just like the idea of having a system which I just switch on and it's running a guiding prog turnkey - a black box. I can see the advantages even if no one else can!

Louise

With my system once set up, I open the observatory roof, switch the power on, retreat indoors and run the software.  I choose my target and go.  The software will do plate solving if required and point scope or lens as required.  Also, I can auto-focus etc.

21 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

I think I want something that is simple, compact and lightweight (in terms of computing as well as mount!).

Have a look at the indi website (indilib.org), for the stellarmate. That might be just what you're looking for.

I also use RPi with indi/lin_guider. Works good, but some basic knowledge of Linux is a plus. Although, as @Gina wrote: "monkey see, monkey do", is how I learned Linux.

17 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

I plan to use the Synscan hand controller, plus the Pi just for guiding. Maybe later on I might expand things

Been there, done that, never got the t-shirt.

If all you want is guiding, you can just use the RPi with only lin_guider. No need to install indi. Lin_guider is more "push here, dummy" than phd. But the "later on" may be sooner than you think.

You can connect to the RPi using xrdp and (windows) remote desktop, or team-viewer. But team-viewer on a mobile phone is a nightmare (bt, dt, still no t-shirt).

Archived